Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started digging out the first two (and hopefully last two!) cancer spots on Jinjur tonight.

Both are full performations, and in really difficult spots. Right now, I'm going to clean them out as well as I can and fibreglas over them, even though I'm not sure I know how to do that.

Oh well. More work. But no welding until next winter. I'm putting the top on this weekend and changing the oil, flushing the coolant, and hitting the road. Well, if I find an alternator pulley that works. :weirdo:

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Damn, that's bad news. I know you love this car and all, but with prices so cheap do you think it may be more cost effective to jsut find another without rust? You can take the stuff off of yours that you wanna keep.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Now I can't tell where these rust spots are, but this is an easy fix! Sand the surface rust off then treat the area with a good Anti-Rusting Body Filler. There's a company called POR-15 that sells a bunch of primers and anti-rusting compounds that will do the job. There's even compounds that can convert the rust that are non abrasive.

Heck, you know this!!! :D Time to give the ride some TLC...

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, I work for Henkel, the world authority on rust proofing and the reason you will probably never see a rusty B5!

The hardest part of this job will be grinding it out from the bottom. I think I have to drop the rear beam on one side. I'm using Alodine (R) 1132, which is chromium phosphate, to treat the bare metal. This is the stuff they use on F16s. I'll be primering the spots first, then glassing them only to keep water from splashing into the cabin. The Alodine will stop the rust dead in its tracks. It's weld-through, so it won't interfere with next year's brazing adventure. I'm not so worried about the holes, just concerned about it not getting any worse.

I bought this knowing it would need work. This is just part of the adventure. Rabbits with no rust are almost unheard of now. :(

·
Registered
477 Posts
atomicalex said:
Rabbits with no rust are almost unheard of now. :(
They're around ... in California :D

Good luck with your project !

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Good luck with that, those do look like pretty tight spots.

As long as you can stop the rust from spreading and enjoy the car for now, you should be in good shape. :)

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ones on the left are all dug out from the top side. I'm going to finish up in the engine bay (prepping to hit the road) and then start on the right one. It just keeps getting bigger. :( That stupid mastic they used to cover the welds is a rust factory.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Cathy, there is also a product called "Rust Bullet" and is specified by the USN. Here's a link to it: http://www.rustbullet.com/

It's just a bit better against rust than POR-15. All of the Cobra guy's re-paint their frames with POR-15. Have to stop and think for a moment about that because the FFR Cobra's have the entire 4" tube chassis exposed to the elements and would look utterly terrible with normal undercoating so POR-15 is used by eveyone if they don't do powder coating. But lately, some are trying out the Rust Bullet.

Here are the comparo's:
http://www.rustbullet.com/Comparison/ProdComp.htm

Here's a REAL good link of the comparitive test in Salt Water (USN type app.):
http://www.rustbullet.com/IndTesting/500Test/500Test.htm

When the time comes, I think I'll do my frame up on Rust Bullet unless one of the FFR guy's has llike a gallon of POR15 left. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts