Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if you could have the abs on a switch like the ASR

im really not planing on doing any break work my self i was just wondering if it could be done with out the computer throwing a fit?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Interesting question. I was in a driving school almost 10 years ago when I was getting my first driver's license in Finland. The school had a brand new Volvo 460 equipped with a switch for disabling ABS. My instructor told me that in that car, the ABS could be disabled simply by pulling a fuse so installing a switch was really easy.

They wanted to be able to disable the ABS and demonstrate students how a car behaves without it (icy conditions & on an oiled track). I had a tons of fun and learned a lot. Anyway, my wild guess is: pull a fuse. I'm sure somebody can confirm/correct.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i wanted to have it be a switch or one of thouse key switchs need a key to turn it off and on

i just relized how much less fun it is to drive in the snow with abs ( but i would like it for other things like rain and idots on the highway)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
yeah, i'd say pull the fuse too. if not, then you can make a relay that goes through the fuse, but it'd be much easier to pull the fuse since you're only gonna be doing it every once in a while, and it's just a 1 minute thing anyway.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
crash,

What the 'pulling the fuse' guy's are infering is that if you CAN pull a fuse to disable the ABS, that adding a switch would be very easy, since there is a single circuit to interupt. Once you identify the fuse, and the fact that it work by removing it, all you have to do is put the switch on that circuit in seties with the fuse.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes but my question was will the computer go nuts if the abs is off?

i can clear codes my self so im sure its not to be a deal but i dont want to have to do it every time

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When my ignition switch burned up my ABS was deactivated. I drove around like that for a week. Pull the fuse and the ABS will go off and you will get a light in the dashboard telling you the same. Replaced the ignition switch and fuse and the ABS works fine again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ad said:
I could be wrong, but if you turn the traction control off, I beleive the ABS is disabled also.

I think that the traction control needs the abs to function properly, not the other way around so that if you do turn off the ASR , you still have ABS.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I think that the traction control needs the abs to function properly, not the other way around so that if you do turn off the ASR , you still have ABS.
yep
ABS needs speed sensors to work.
ASR needs the abs circuit to work .

pulling a fuse will give you CEL everytime

In order to control the abs using a switch you gotta have to cut the wire that comes from the ABS fuse to the ABS module and install a switch in between as Pass-Variant said
dont forget to keep the switch on to have ABS .

I dont know what other controls depend on the ABS to be honest i wouldn't do that to my car just to "have fun in the snow". :crazy:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
you can simply pull the fuse, but if im not mistaken the ABS light will light up on your cluster :eek:h:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
no no no... in short, there is NO easy way to disable the ABS system in our cars. If there is, and I am wrong, then please accept my apologies. Pulling your fuse will not disable the ABS system. Oddly enough, check to see if you even have an ABS fuse. If you have ASR and ABS, you might not even have an ABS fuse. don't ask me why, or how I know this, but my car NEVER came with one, has the slot, and the ABS works.

It is to my understanding, even VAGing the car will not disable it either. once you have it on your car, it's there.

The trouble with trying to fool the car into disabling the ABS, is that it goes into panic mode when it realizes something is wrong with the ABS system, and locks up the rear brakes. Then, you get all sorts of other issues with dash lights and yada yada yada...

but if there is an easy way, please post it. my old car turned off ABS when I turned off the TRAC. but not the case with the B5

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Apologies accepted, but nearly every statement in post #16 is incorrect.

In most if not all B5s you can disable the ABS & ASR by disconnecting the wire from fuse #7 to the ABS module. Removing fuse #7 disables the ABS & ASR,
but in some models it also disables starting the engine. You can't easily disable the ABS without disabling the ASR.

The ABS and ASR are safety features, in most places it is illegal to drive with the ABS disabled.
The only legitimate reason and method to disable the ABS & ASR is to remove the module, for the purpose of having it rebuilt.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I don't believe driving a vehicle without ABS is illegal here in the states, although that may vary from state to state based on local laws. I can think of several reasons why you'd want to disable it, some of which have already been mentioned. Aside from having the ABS unit rebuilt, how about a bad or missing sensor?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts