Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okie, so i had this full on set-up in my show car (http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/2877/) and now i've stripped it and am selling the car. So i have almot all of my old system left over to put in my passat. I've gotten quotes every-where from $250/day to $1200 to install this setup in my B5. That's just WAY TO MUCH just to pay for an install. Also they said i don't need/can't use half of it. Can some-1 with knowledge offer help? Here is what i have to install.

--1 Set Polk Audio 5 1/4" Components (dB series 5510)
--1 Set Polk Audio 6 1/2" Components (dB series 6510)
--2 Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 12" Subwoofers
-2 Rockford Fosgate 225.2 (for the subs, 1 on mono per sub)
-1 Rockford Fosgate 600a4 (for the seperates)
-1 Rockford Fosgate 40.2 (don't think i need)
-Alpine 5 Channel Crossover (stereo shop stole my polk x-overs)
-Alpine CVA-1005 (in-dash monitor)
-Alpine Electronic Processor (1-din EQ)
-Alpine 6 Disk Changer (thin one)
-Audiovox DVD/MP3/VCD/CD player
-600 Watt Power Inveter (for the ps2?)
-PS2 (i wanna put in)

I'd like to use all the stock speaker locations (if possible) and try to take up as little trunk space as possible. I figured i'd have a box built to cover the 2/3 section in my trunk so can still drop down 1 seat for a bit of room if i need it. I'm also wondering where to put everything? I was told i probably don't need to use the 40x2 amp (i had 3 sets of seperates in the last car). And at the same time i'd like to be able to disconnect the box and take it out if i need to and still have my system work. I also have a 10" Bazooka tube...and was wondering if it was possible to have the setup work when if i needed more trunk space to take the box out and plug in the tube for some bass...and then if i didn't need the trunk space have my boxed pplugged in. I'd like to get a nice sounding system with the availability to swap the setup around for my daily-driving convienence.....is this practical? I even was thinking of having a false floor to put the subs in (by taking out the spare tire) but figured that's be bad cause then i'd be short a spare tire :p So if any-1 can offer help suggestions on what to do that would be great. All in all i'm broke and on a budget so buying new hardware isn't top on my list...perhaps upgrades later...but for now i'd just like to get this in the car to watch a few flicks and listen to some good tunes. And at the same time i'd like it to look nice. Any ideas, suggestions, comments??? TIA!

FYI- 1999 Passat GLS 1.8t 5spd sedan, windsor blue outside/tan leatherinterior, NO monsoon setup.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. What about power to run all of this...should i get a 2nd battery? A cap? 2 caps? Do i need to beef up my alternator? All i have planned to run this is my stock B5 battery.... :nervous:

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Well scrap the Polk Audio 5 1/4" Components since they dont fit (unless you want to redo the door panels)
Other then that i dont know :???:
With that set-up you have to know alot about car audio and what everything does, so decide what you want and pick the components that meet those requierments :thumbup:
HTH

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I wouldnt necessarily scrap the 5 1/4's as you need 2 make a trim ring anway- you can simply cut the hole smaller to fit them:

I have always really liked the db/mm series- they sound great. If they are in good shape, i would keep them until they die!

as far as amps and subs, whatever you feel like giving up for space- more subs usually means bigger enclosures and more power (again, more space). Unless you are running over a REAL 400 to 500 watts, you probably dont need to upgrade alternator or battery. If you dont know how much power you are REALLY putting out, run it hard with a 40 amp fuse and if it blows, calculate your power (14.4 volts * 40 amps = 576 watts... etc). I occasionally blow a 40 amp fuse and think i am borderline for needing stiffening caps or a bigger battery (or higher output alternator).

My opinion is try and keep it simple unless you are competing in install shows. The more complex you make it, the harder it is to fine-tune it and troubleshoot problems. If you have sufficient power out of one or two amps, dont add a third.

make sure you have adequate wire- i would NOT exceed 30 amps through a GOOD 8 gage wire- if you are over that, move up to 4 gage!!!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
--1 set Polk Audio 5 1/4" Components (dB series 5510)___you can use if you made brackets as j said. No problem but depending on the shop, it might cost ya a few bucks. We would charge $40 for each set of components plus $20 for the custom brackets.
-1 Rockford Fosgate 40.2 (don't think i need)_____you dont
Now I sell Fosgate amps and you WILL need another battery! That is alot of power and you will most likely run into problems if you dont. A yellow top Optima will run ya about 130-150. Youll need 4 gauge wire for the amps and youll also need a distrobution block for fuses.
Unless you really just want to have the PS2 for games, you really dont need it. But, if you do want the games then ditch the dvd player and use the PS2. I ran one in one of my old setups and it did GREAT!
I have added it all up and if you were a customer coming into my shop your quote, without parts, would be a little like this...........
--1 Set Polk Audio 5 1/4" Components (dB series 5510) - $60
--1 Set Polk Audio 6 1/2" Components (dB series 6510) - $40
--2 Rockford Fosgate Power DVC 12" Subwoofers -free with amp install
-2 Rockford Fosgate 225.2 (for the subs, 1 on mono per sub) -$50 each
-1 Rockford Fosgate 600a4 (for the seperates) -$60
-1 Rockford Fosgate 40.2 (don't think i need) - $0(ya dont need it)
-Alpine 5 Channel Crossover (stereo shop stole my polk x-overs) - $40
-Alpine CVA-1005 (in-dash monitor) - $100
-Alpine Electronic Processor (1-din EQ) - $35
-Alpine 6 Disk Changer (thin one) - $50
-Audiovox DVD/MP3/VCD/CD player - $free with screen install
-600 Watt Power Inveter (for the ps2?) - $20
-PS2 (i wanna put in) - $free with inverter

TOTAL-$455 PLUS PARTS(those will get ya)

and another $50 for yellow top install.

Now a custom box/trunk is a different story. We charge $150 for a regular box but amp rack/trunk would be $50 per hour.

Hope that all helps!
Let me know if there are anymore questions!

Brian

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx so much for your replies guys! I know it's alot... i used to be into stereo stuff...but it's been years and this system had been following my for 3 cars now...So now i'm torn on how to set it all up. Thanx dublifr for the quote...it'll help me put things in perspective of what's expected....

And on a side note...the only reason why i was thinking of running the dvd player and PS2...was i wanted to get one of those muti-AV switchers to run a dvd on 1 monitor and be able to play the PS2 on another....

I forgot to add that i also had a 7" ferinheit LCD monitor to mount some-where...

And as for the 5 1/4's I was going to have bracket made as suggested. I figured i can always upgrade later once i had more funds to dump into the stereo.

As for the sub set up... it's currently in a ported box...and was thinking it'll be better if it was in a sealed box i assume? Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Answer to your question of the sub encloser.......

The only reason I see that you should seal the box is if you are wanting tighter, clean bass. There is nothing wrong with a ported box and those subs perform perfectly in either. The bass will be louder but not as tight and clean in the sealed. Its up to you and what you are looking for.

With the monitor.......I have thought of doing a single monitor in a molded/fiberglassed pod. What I am thinking of would basicly be on the back of the center console in the middle of the seats. Just an idea though.

Keep us posted! :thumbup:
Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts