Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do the 1st ever oil change using an oil extractor through the dipstick hole.

Then I thought, why can't the oil be added through the dipstick hole? By the same token, can the oil be extracted through the fill hole?

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
You should drain it through the pan but it looks like you're committed to extracting.

No reason to fill through the dipstick tube. You fill at the valve cover at the oil cap. The fresh oil will drain down through the head and block to the pan, coating things as it goes.

The fill hole on the valve cover does not provide direct access to the pan for extraction. I am concerned that if you had to ask that question; should you be performing any work on your own? No offense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am just asking this question for discussion, if the engine oil can be added through the fill hole, why can't the oil be extracted through it? Same is true for the dipstick hole, why can't we add the oil through the dipstick hole? You did not answer the question in your post.

Also, since you mentioned, what are the disadvantages of performing oil change by the top-side extraction method?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I would pump the oil through the drain plug hole. That hole is bigger than the dipstick hole at least on my 98, 1.8t. This way you can directly lubricate the oil pump sump , which is a vital engine component. The German engineering always amazes me.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
I am just asking this question for discussion, if the engine oil can be added through the fill hole, why can't the oil be extracted through it? Same is true for the dipstick hole, why can't we add the oil through the dipstick hole? You did not answer the question in your post.

Also, since you mentioned, what are the disadvantages of performing oil change by the top-side extraction method?
1. I did answer your question about extracting through the fill "hole" in the valve cover. "The fill hole on the valve cover does not provide direct access to the pan for extraction." The oil drains down through small channels in the head and block to the pan when added through the manufacturer designated oil fill hole on the valve cover.

2. You can add the oil via the dipstick tube, but why would you when the manufacturer provides one for you? It will take longer since it is such a small opening. I just can't understand why it would even be considered; surely not just because it hasn't been asked or done before....

3. You will likely not get as much of the oil out via extraction vs draining. I guess to prove or disprove that, you would need extract the old oil, fill it, and then extract that to see who much new oil was removed vs put in.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
I would pump the oil through the drain plug hole. That hole is bigger than the dipstick hole at least on my 98, 1.8t. This way you can directly lubricate the oil pump sump , which is a vital engine component. The German engineering always amazes me.
I cannot tell if you are joking or sincere. :confused:

If you would pump it through the drain hole, why would we even extract it? Also, you will lose oil once you remove the tube, scrambling to insert the drain plug.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
That's a great idea, Scott!

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,305 Posts
If you have a fumoto valve on the drain hole, I don't see any reason why you can't add the oil through it. After draining the old oil, pump new oil in, then close the valve while stopping the pump.
Sure; but again, why?

Simple. Drain through the drain hole, refill through the fill hole. Check level through the dipstick tube.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I was indeed joking/sarcastic . But scott13 has beaten me. The oil cooler idea sounds better!
However, if you tilt the car 45 degree or more, it may be possible to fill it through the oil drain plug hole. If worse comes to worse, replace the engine with the one that has fresh oil in it. While at it, I would replace the transmission. The OP should know these cars don't have tranny dipstick so you replace the transmission, not the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
To extract the oil via the filler opening will not work. You would never be able to snake the tube to the bottom of the pan.

You will need a very small hose to extract it from the dipstick tube and it will take a very, very long time to extract all the oil that way. Same goes for refilling the engine (I'm thinking like an hr. or more). Not to mention the risk of breaking the dipstick tube.

To pump oil into the engine via the drain hole is a no brainer.

·
Registered
Passat Variant B5.5 2001 manual 2.0L gas engine AZM 85kw
20 Posts
In the spirit of this thread, since the piston rings need to be lubricated as well, remove the cylinder head and pour the new oil on top of the pistons. Then wait until the oil seeps through the piston rings to the oil pan. It will take a long time, just be patient (try using a compressor or explosive devices to pressurize the cylinders, so that it will seep faster). Don't forget to resurface the head later!

Of course to remove the oil before putting new in, tilt the car 180 degrees while the cylinder head is off (tilting has already been recommended previously, no need to actually mention it again).

·
Registered
877 Posts
What I actually do at work when I'm changing the customers oil I will leave the engine running and have one guy by the oil fill pumping in oil and I will be under the car draining it at the same time. I will replace the oil plug once the oil comes out clear. Don't worry if the oil comes out mettallic silver, that will stop after a few minutes.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
You will need a very small hose to extract it from the dipstick tube and it will take a very, very long time to extract all the oil that way. Same goes for refilling the engine (I'm thinking like an hr. or more). Not to mention the risk of breaking the dipstick tube.
This, I'm embarrassed to admit, I have personally confirmed as impractical. The VW dealer changed my oil, and overfilled about a pint. Being nothing if not anal-retentive, I wanted to drain a bit. With a tube that would fit the dipstick neck, I actually got a siphon going - but two hours later I had all of three tablespoons out.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.