Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...tell me about how much this damage is going to cost to fix? Sorry for the wet car, but it's just another beautiful March afternoon here in Lexington, Kentucky!

Front driver's side fender

Front driver's side fender

Rear driver's side door

Rear driver's side door

Some dick hole with a BB gun decided it would be fun to shoot up a line of cars (which I was in) when we were all sitting at a red light last night when I was on my way home with my wife from a local book store. The damage to the car doesn't bother me, quite honestly - it's a car, it's going to get damaged, that's why we have body shops - I just didn't think I would be shelling out a chunk cash to fix it when I've only had it a little over a week. D'oh!

Hey, at least it was only a BB gun.

Thanks in advance guys!

Abe

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Someone threw a lemon at my car while it was moving last night.... almost cracked my windshield in half. They did it to 2 other people before someone finally called the police. I stopped by and left a police report. It pisses me off when people do stupid shit like that ... if I saw someone shooting my car with a BB gun, I would chase them down the street with my tire iron.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, when I was sitting at a gas station talking with the cop who showed up, two other people (who were apparently at the same light as me) called in to report the same incident. It was about 11:00pm, dark, a wooded area, and I didn't see anyone. The cops went to the area it had happened after the fact to see if they could find anything, but of course could not - the person or people who had done it were long gone by then. The cops were great though, they handled the situation in a very professional manner, and made sure I had all the info necessary to follow-up on the incident... I have to give the Lexington Police a big thumbs up on this one. :thumbup: At least they weren't writing me a speeding ticket this time. :D

It pisses me off that some idiot would do someting like this as well. I don't take kindly to being shot at, BB gun or otherwise, and they would have most definitely met the business end of my always present .357 and an angry Abe if I had seen 'em on the side of the road somewhere. That probably would have convinced them to stay put until the cops showed up to arrest 'em.

Can't get too upset though, shit happens.

Abe

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Both pieces don't need replacement, but would need some bondo and resurfacing done and then some new paint. Don't know how much it would be - depends on the shop. I reckon it should be covered by your insurance policy under the comprehensive coverage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I figured they wouldn't need to be replaced - I've had more damage to a vehicle before than this and no panels needed to be switched out. I'm thinking a couple or three hundred max, any more than that and I would probably be getting ripped off. Can anyone out there confirm?

I'm not goinig to turn it in on insurance - I don't need my rates going up. My comprehensive deductible is $250, and I figure I can get the work done for somewhere around that, so I really don't want the insurance company to come into play if they don't need to be.

Abe

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Unfortunatly as per US law, there isn't much they can do to find those kids that did it. Even if they found some kids with a BB gun, its inconclusive evidence against them... Unless you actually witnessed them doing it, then there isn't a thing that can be done :roll:. What was last night! National throw/shoot things at the Passat night?

Poor Passat :cry: I had to clean all the nasty sticky lemon crap off of it this morning :(.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
That should be a pretty easy fix. The only thing I'd demand is NO BONDO. I got a few rock chips in two of my doors less that 6 days after I FINALLY got it back from the paint shop from some dumbass gardeners thaty don't know a mower is the best thing to use for mow grass. :mad: The lowest estimate I got included metalworking the dings, painting the whole pass read door, blending the quarter panel and painting and blending the pass. front door and it was just under $1400. Good thing the landscapers have insurance!

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Paul!

Did you turn it in on insurance? I've seen some pretty crazy quotes when people turn damage in on insurance, which were halved or quartered when the person getting the work done decided they were going to pay for it themselves. Why do you think we all pay such crazy insurance rates? :shock:

I was driving my previous car down the highway one day when the car in front of me kicked up a huge rock and it got me right in the front part of the hood. It left a biiiiiiiig nasty dent. I only paid $600 to get it repaired and that included repainting the entire hood. I can't imagine it'll be any more than that - it was quality work too. Just a quick plug, it was Don Jacob's body shop in Lexington Kentucky. Yep, the body shop at the dealership!

What options would they have besides bondo? Just so it sounds like I know what I'm talking about... :lol:

Abe

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Abe, I called my insurance to start the ball rolling just in case I couldn't get anywhere with the landscapers. Lucky for me the lady that handles the ladnscaping contract for the base works in the cube next to my wife so she's making sure I get taken care of. I think the quote was a little higher than usual because I demanded no body filler. It didn't have any before and it damn well better not because some landscapers were too lazy to put up the barriers they use to prevent this. I told the body shop that I don't care if they have to replace the door, I WILL NOT accept body filler in any way, shape or form on my car. I know it can be done with body filler, it's just more labor and skill involved. Look at all the classics at a car show. Most of those needed body work and they don't have an ounce of body filler on them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Paul!

So technically what's _bad_ about body filler? I've heard horror stories from "back in the day" about cracking and such, but I've heard that all of those issues with the compound have long since been worked out and now we have the new and improved "super new crazy body filler". I wasn't told this by a person trying to get my business either, so I have no reason not to trust 'em. I would rather it be cheaper to fix, and as long as it lasts the six or seven years I'll probably own the car, I have no problem with them using the stuff... the Passat isn't a $300k classic car. :)

Abe

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Bondo brand body filler still has a tendency to shrink more than some others. Hell, I won't even use Bondo brand for custom audio installs, it's that bad. While there is nothing "wrong" per se with having body filler on a car, I don't like it. My car wouldn't have it on there if not for the other party, so I don't want it on there now. It's a preference. And I'm reeeeeeaaaalllllyyyyyy anal about my car. I won't even walk on that side of the car because every time I see the chips I get pissed. :mad: Maybe I'm just weird. :crazy:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, I'll make sure to at least ask what brand of body filler they use. Thanks for the info! Oh, and yeah, you're just wierd. :lol:

Abe

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Abe - the body shop shouldn't need to use body filler on those anyway. They are small enough to bump out smoothly and even though it will cast a bit more to have them bumped out, it is a far better repair. Some shops will just fill them in, the better ones will at least try to bump them flat before breaking out the filler.

:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went in to the body shop @ Don Jacobs here in Lexington, KY this afternoon. Not only was the quote $924.47, but the way the lady who did the estimate was describing it, was that about half the car would need to be repainted. I laughed all the way out the door! Going to try another place tomorrow...

Abe

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Actually it may be true. When they paint a door or a fender or whatever they usually have to paint the panel next to it to blend the new paint in with the new paint. Just to fix my door ding and 3 rock chips is over $1200 and they have to paint the quarted panel. The said that they may not have to paint the fender since the chips in the front door are so far back. Where your BB shots are any GOOD shop will end up painting that whole side of the car or the panels won't match. It's not a ridiculous as you think.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
abegetchell said:
Went in to the body shop @ Don Jacobs here in Lexington, KY this afternoon. Not only was the quote $924.47, but the way the lady who did the estimate was describing it, was that about half the car would need to be repainted. I laughed all the way out the door! Going to try another place tomorrow...

Abe
Though it might sound ridiculous to you, that lady is absolutely not wrong but instead gave you quite a "professional" quote.

Unless you want color discrepencies you'd want to blend into the next sheet metal panel next to the one that actually needs to be painted.

That means for you:
1. When you paint the fender you'd blend into the hood and the front door
2. When you paint the rear door you'd blend into the quarter panel and front door

Hence the following pieces to be painted:
1. Hood
2. Fender
3. Front Door
4. Rear Door
5. Quarter Panel

That would give you the best paint job from a professional body shop. Obviously if you want to go the El' Cheapo job, painting just the individual pieces would work too, but be sure your eyes are ready for that stunning color specimen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where were you guys with the numbers when I first posed this question? Anyways... I think the difference between what I was expecting and what I got were my expectations of the work to be performed. Sure, if I wanted the car to look like it just rolled off of the factory production line, then I could probably pay some rediculous amount and have half the car repainted like I have received a quote for. However, this is my daily driver - this damage will not be the last that the car receives. If someone can get the areas which were damaged back to 95%, then I'd be happy. Hell, if I'm going to repaint the entire side of the car, I'm going to wait until there's a little more damage than a couple of dents from a few BB's!

Abe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts