Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to setup a engine support bar so I can take off my oil pan but I’m afraid that my lifting eye is missing. Can someone confirm? And if it is missing is there another area that I can use as an anchor?

·
Registered
27,865 Posts
Yes, it's missing. Maybe try a junkyard? You could try a long enough bolt with some washers to through the chain and bolted to one or both of those open bolt holes in the head. (on the right of the wise grips). I've done that plenty of times with various engines.

·
Registered
20 GTI S
886 Posts
We talking about the circled area? If so, I never realized that this was a lifting point. I thought it was just a attachment point for the support for the fuel lines. It was missing as well from my 02 AWM, but that was because the dealer removed is as part of the fuel line recall.

·
Registered
27,865 Posts
Yes, that's the holding point for fuel lines, but it's also the lifting point for the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I was actually able to rig my own lifting point with some angled steel, a hole saw, and some m8 bolts. I desperately needed to change out my oil pan and clean sludge out because of low oil pressure. I would recommend going to a junkyard to find a new lifting point but due to bad weather I couldn't access one. I was able to use the lifting point with the Harbor Freight engine support bar and suspended the engine for about 48 hours without any noticeable fatigue made to the makeshift lifting point. Not sure if I would trust this to lift and remove the entire engine from the bay with a hoist/crane but if I were to I would use a lot thicker steel. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the the engine lifted with the support bar because the removal of the subframe frustrated me to the point of almost quitting, but with a goods night rest I prevailed and was able to remove all the sludge from my pan and installed a new oil pump:).

·
Registered
27,865 Posts
I've used both the HF engine bar and an engine hoist on the 1.8T for oil pump changes. The engine bar is far easier to work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts