Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know DRL is not using 100% power, so, how is that bad for HIDs? I would like to turn my DRL back on, but, I don't want to screw up my HIDs either. Is anyone out there using HIDs as their DRL?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I use them as DRL, but NOT AT REDUCED POWER. You have to disconnect/bypass the reduced power relay. Mail Bontron or search for the topic he wrote on this. Easy mod.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
dxiao said:
I know DRL is not using 100% power, so, how is that bad for HIDs? I would like to turn my DRL back on, but, I don't want to screw up my HIDs either. Is anyone out there using HIDs as their DRL?

Thanks
I don't see what the issue is? Unmodded W8's run the HID's are Daytime Running Lights.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Swami, the issue is that I bet the OEM HIDs don't use reduced power when used as DRL, vs. none HID DRL does use reduced power.

·
Registered
272 Posts
the reason why you cant run the Hid's at reduced power is because the Ballast for the light is designed to run at or above 12 volts. Supposedly, Drl's are Running the Regular headlight bulb at lower voltage and current by means of a VERY long wire down the drivers side floor board for A much higher resistance for a voltage drop.

if you run HID's at Drl voltage, the electronics in the startup circuit inside the ballast have to work Much harder to maintain the 10,000 or so voltage for the bulb to operatem proerperly.

So, all in all, running the HID's at DRL voltage WILL decrease the life of the Ballast and possibly the bulbs.

you can disable the DRL's Without taking apart yer dash on the 2001 and lower models. Just tape over the pins on the switch according to the headlight switch guide in the info forum. Good Luck :wink:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the reply. I currently have the DRL disabled. I would like to get it back. I think someone mentioned about by pass the reduced power relay, but, I thought as robertkmagill said here, on B5s, they just use a long wire to build up the resistance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In my '03 the DRL's are full power lo beams, turning the head light switch to the "on" position will bring up the city lights, the dash lighting and the rears. If IIRC Volkswagen's DRL's have always been lo beams at full power. At least up hear in the great white north.

Frank :) :drink:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
The mod to make the DRL's run at full power is VERY simple - unplug one connector, put a jumper in it, then tape it up really well. There's a writeup somewhere on this forum with all the details. I've been running my HIDs as DRL's for about 6 months now. The W8 HIDs run at full power.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, i can't find the write up for this, can anyone post a link to it? how come it's not in the information forum?

Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
I too would like this link. I remember a long time ago seeing a write up on the bypassing the reduced voltage solution. I will continue to look and post the link if I find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
starlightB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing