Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jack Russell, he is about 6 months old now and he is constantly bringing in frogs,squirrels..all dead of course,well except one frog. Can he get sick from this? I don't think he chews on the frogs,or not that I've seen but last night he had half a squirrel and was just chewing away and at first I thought it was the lint from the dryer but when I took a closer look it was the bottom half of the squirrel. I know they are supposed to be huntin dogs but damn I don't want him to die from this

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
he prollie wont die but if he keeps picking up dead animals theres a chance he could get rabies which could kill him and possible infect one of the people in the house. Since he is only 6months old it would be best to dedicate alot of your time training him and keeping him indoors until there is someone to watch him while outdoors. If you just dont have the time get him professionally trained, in the long run you will be much happier with him. If you leave him be you will be picking up dead animal bits for a while. If he continues to pick up dead animals while being watched you need to give him a scream and a slap on the butt (not too hard of course) then shoot some pepper on the dead animal and let him sniff around for it again. Once he sniffs the pepper and begins to associate the pepper with dead animals he should stop

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
It's best to keep the pup away from the critters... at least until he/she's a year old. That way 'Jack' will have all his vaccinations and be best able to defend against anything he may get into.

Once he's an adult, and assuming that he keeps current with the vacc's, there's really no worry. It's just the pup times.

I don't even bring my pups to the 'Pet Co' (at my vet's advice) when they are young because the are so vunerable. Once they are adults... they are safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts