Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add some engine oil to the motor, and I have an unopend bottle of "Shell HELIX PLUS" motor oil marked: 10W-40 but the owners manual says: "Shell HELIX ULTRA" 5W-30.

So do you guys think I can use my oil anyway?

My car is a Passat 2002 v6 4-motion

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
One bottle would probably be fine in a V6, you could probably just throw it in with your 5W-30 or whatever you regularly use and be golden.

Now in a 1.8T, that's a different story.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One bottle would probably be fine in a V6, you could probably just throw it in with your 5W-30 or whatever you regularly use and be golden.

Now in a 1.8T, that's a different story.
Yes it´s just 1 liter at most I have to fill up. So I think I try it...

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,509 Posts
A blend of one liter of 10W-40 oil plus more than four liters of 5W-30 is will be only slightly thicker than straight 5W-30; don't worry about it.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Ok, thanks... but do it really matters that much if I use my 10W-40 anyway?

Thanks....
You're going into winter. You don't want to add oil with a thicker cold viscosity than you absolutely have to, because it will impede oil flow until the engine warms up.

You can't drive a little further and pick up a bottle of Mobil 1 0w40 or Pentosin 5w40?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sure I can buy a 5w-30, but I was thinking that, as I have an unopend bottle 10w-40 staying here, it would be easyer to use that one rather then buy a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts