Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buds,

Question: Can i swap an ECU from the Junkyard (same yr,make,model) with my existing ECU?

ISSUE; My present ECU is throwing some codes and i want to see if changing it will eliminate the codes.

I HEARD you must re-program the ECU or 'Flash-it' to up date the firmware. NOT sure if this would create more problems than before. Anyone know about the subject of Swapping ECU's?
  • How do you Flash Program the ECU?
  • Must you go to a Dealer to do this?
Any constructive input is appreciated...Thanks!

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Yes you can swap the ECU for a used one.
VCDS software can 're-code' the ECU. The best thing to do before the swap is to get the coding off the old one so you know exactly what to code the new one to.

As far as other software being up to the task, I can't answer that as I only have VCDS.

Others should be able to chime in.

Reactions: Mike Siegal

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Not that I'm aware of.
Maybe some other more tech savvy member can chime in.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
UPDATE
Other more tech savvy members please confirm this.
Most 1998 to 2001 model year B5's (before VIN split) didn't have an immobilizer at all.

After the VIN split the immobilizer III was used.

A SKC/PIN number is needed for the B5.5.

See the reference below.
VW Passat (3B) Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Reactions: Mike Siegal

·
Registered
22 Posts
For B6/CC/Euro B7, the immo is in the CCM(Comfort Control Module), which the ECM(Engine Control Module) is VIN matched to immo. Other way around this is to do immo defeat on donor ECM or their are companies that will clone ECM immo data to donor ECM.

Now, can you diy this? Yes, but for the tools & labor & time to learn to possibly screw up for a one time deal, just have someone do it for you correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts