Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if i can save some money here, not sure how much the bodyshop would charge me to paint a grill, but whatever it is im sure its too much. It can take anymore than 20min to do or even less. Can i do this my self with a touch up kit?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You can def. do it with the spray cans in your color your self. I am not sure what you mean by touch up kit (brush or spray can). But it can done fairly easily. Just take your time and do it right. i would assume that a body shop would charge around $200 for what you can do with like $20 worth of paint.

Godd luck.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yaeh, im talking about the spray can, i figured it should be something i could do myself. Is there any special preping i need to do to the grill, it says it comes ready to paint but that could mean anything to someone whos never painted.
Im thinking a couple coats of black magic then clear coat and i should be done right?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Liquid_Smoke said:
yaeh, im talking about the spray can, i figured it should be something i could do myself. Is there any special preping i need to do to the grill, it says it comes ready to paint but that could mean anything to someone whos never painted.
Im thinking a couple coats of black magic then clear coat and i should be done right?
I did my engine covers and a couple of things to keep in mind

1) lightly sand and wipe down *thoroughly* with PrepSol

2) use many light coats to help prevent runs and fisheyes.

3) When you clear you will need to do it right away or after 48 hours or it will wrinkle the paint below the clear.

What I did prior to shooting the parts is get something to use as a test piece. I used a scrap piece of 4" plastic pipe and did a dry run on it.

I sanded it .. wiped it down and applied the paint then I did the clear right away and hit it with a hair dryer to set it up.

If the paint wrinkles .. start over and wait 48 hours to clear.

Its best to screw up on a test thing than the grill.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I just do the prepsol etc cuz you don't know whos greasy lil hands were on it . More to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i painted mine myself. it came out great. i scuffed my fk badgeless with 3m scuffpad, primed it and used the factory touch up spray with the clear coat and it came out looking very professional, and proved itself very durable as well.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
The paint will be fine for what you are going to do. Im doing a project, and using the OE paint in the can as well.

But, some advice. My local dealer charges $25 for 4oz of paint and clear. I would have needed close to 8oz to finish the project. For the same price of $50, I went to www.paintscratch.com and ordered my flex, base, and clear for $50. I get 12.5oz of paint, with the added flex. My order should arrive next week, and once done, Ill post my pictures up.

Steve

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I have a black magic touch up kit at home from my B5, never used. Bought it from the dealer.
I doubt it would work for your grill, but would work on any little rock chips or scratches.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darth Volkswagen said:
I dont think you need to do the prepsol because I thinki the grill comes preprimed. Just lightly sand and clean with water so the paint has a surface to grab onto.

Ok, i just picked up my paint.
How do i know if the grill i have is preprimed or not? Its made of ABS plastic and its black, should it be a different color if it was primed?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how/where i should place the grill to paint.
Should i lay it down flat or hang it up on something?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Liquid_Smoke said:
Darth Volkswagen said:
I dont think you need to do the prepsol because I thinki the grill comes preprimed. Just lightly sand and clean with water so the paint has a surface to grab onto.

Ok, i just picked up my paint.
How do i know if the grill i have is preprimed or not? Its made of ABS plastic and its black, should it be a different color if it was primed?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how/where i should place the grill to paint.
Should i lay it down flat or hang it up on something?

Thanks
To me it sounds like it is not preprimed. I would pick up a can of primer and lay down a couple of coats before painting. As far as laying it down or hanging it up. I dont think it matters really, just make sure that you use light even coats. As long as you don't spray enough that the paint starts to run then you should be alright. Just take you time. When I did my engine covers i kinda rushed the job and the paint started to run and looked horrible. So I had to sand it down and start over. It would have been a lot easier if I just took my time.
Good Luck.
Thad. :shock:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, just got one more question left :)

I just decided to also paint the aluminum mesh that comes with the grill black also.

Since this isnt ABS plastic, do i have to treat this differently to paint it.

With the plastic i followed these instructions
http://www.b5one.com/howto/eyelidpaint.html (thanks Darth Volkswagen)

Should i do the same to the mesh? minus the sanding
Or can i just start off with 2 coats of base and a couple clear coats?

And last but not least, after i have everything painted and dry, can i stick this on my car TODAY or do i have to wait a few days?

Thanks again everyone who posted in this thread.
My mod is coming along very smoooooothly :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I dan'tknow about the sanding. i guess it wouldn't hurt to sand it a little to give the paint a good surface to grip to. I would still maybe do a coat of primer before.

These are just ideas, i really have not done this before, but i am trying to rationalize this. It should be all good if the surface you are painting is clean and the paint has a surface to grip onto.

As far as waiting, I think it would be best to wait a couple of days. Better to be safe than sorry. You waited this long what is a couple more days.

Good Luck

Thad. :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool, sounds good to me, ill clean it up, sand it a little, clean it again, 1coat of primer and 2coats of base w/2 coats of clear should be good enough.

Im still super shocked at how good this is turning out, and this is the first time ive ever painted anything ever.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I was shocked at how easy painting was too.

I started with painting my eyelids and then the painting bug caught me. Paint is fairly inexpensive and changes alot. After I found out how easy it was. I did my engine covers which made a world of difference. Then I tinted my fender side markers (tint paint) then when I built up the balls I tinted my own tails (tint paint). Now once I figure out how to get the bumper lights out I plan on tinting them too.

In a couple of weeks I am going to try and tackle painting my lowers. Wish me luck.

Oh yeah, when you get it done make sure to post pics.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i think im catching the paint bug too,
Im allready thinking about what i can paint next.
I think the engine covers are next in line for next weekend. :)

what kind of tint paint did you use on your tails? Do you have pics?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sweet, nice job. :thumbup:
I know what ill be doing the next couple free weekends :D
Think im gonna go with Red.

I got a ?
In your pic of the engine cover, what is the name of the part in the lower left corner with the black strip in the middle? I know its used to route air somewhere.
How important is it that this part is in good shape? Mine has a crack in it, i broke it tryint to take it off months ago when i put my clear corners on. I want to get it replaced, but just wondering how quickly i should do it?

Also, is the 1.8T thats on the engine cover the same as teh one on the back of the car? I dont have the 1.8T or VW badge on my cover and i want to replace these when i paint them.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I think the crack will be okay as long as it is not hindering the flow of air and if no foreign objects are flying in there. Eventually I would get it replaced but I wouldn't worrya about it too much now. I could be wrong though.

The VW and 1.8T badges on the covers are the ones that came on the cover with the car. I am sure that you can get replacements from the stealership I believe :b5: .5's had the 1.8T on the cover while :b5: 's had 20V or maybe they just changed some year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts