Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first house and I am learning how to take care of my lawn now. My neighbor told me to put some fertilizer on my lawn, so I bought some that is for the early spring. I put it on with one of those hand help spreaders, but it said to use one lb per 310 sq ft. Well, I think my lawn somewhat measured out to be like almost 400 sq ft. I know I ended up putting like twice as much as I should have. Can this kill the lawn? How long before I see some results. I watered a little more than usual to get the pellets/granuals into the soil.

so far, I have not really noticed any change or greener grass. In fact, It almost looks like it could be dying, but that could be my imagination.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yup what gietl said. no more fertilizer for another 6 mos.
If you want to you can give it some lawn food every so often with one of those "attaches to the end of your hose" deals. like every couple months.
We totally killed most of our lawn this past winter due to niglect, so I am learning a lot about lawns...
Make sure you water in the early morning like right before the sun comes up or shortly thereafter. If you water at night your lawn is prone to fungus and what not... When you mow only cut 1/3rd of the blades or you'll shock it.
And weed wackers and push mowers arent worth shit, buy a real one.
( I used to grow really killer green bud, but lawns are tough.) :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
when i was a kid, living in alabama, it was rather frightening how much effort tsome people put ino their lawn....i remember one guy that wouls actually come out of his house when me and my buddies got too close.... :nervous:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
vwjedi said:
this is my first house and I am learning how to take care of my lawn now. My neighbor told me to put some fertilizer on my lawn, so I bought some that is for the early spring. I put it on with one of those hand help spreaders, but it said to use one lb per 310 sq ft. Well, I think my lawn somewhat measured out to be like almost 400 sq ft. I know I ended up putting like twice as much as I should have. Can this kill the lawn? How long before I see some results. I watered a little more than usual to get the pellets/granuals into the soil.

so far, I have not really noticed any change or greener grass. In fact, It almost looks like it could be dying, but that could be my imagination.

Thanks,
Kevin
If you did not accidently dumped a mound of this fertilizer on a small spot, and as long as you've spreaded it evenly, you should be OK.

I do this all the time, going back over the same spots to use up the remaining left over of the fertilizer. Also, it may take a week or two for the lawn to start showing that deep green color. It also help to mow it as low as you can for the first or second time of the season (scalp it !), then gradually raise the cutting height. Give it time and water it often and you should be OK.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Hey, Kevin - make sure you water it so the fertilizer soaks into the soil. Another big thing is to aerate your lawn - prob ~$60-100 to have a service come in and do this. They come out and pull little plugs out fo the soil and leave them around like a bunch of kitty litter. They end up breaking down and becoming part of the soil again, but this allows the roots to breathe, and with all the clay in Socal, it's a good idea. If you do this, go buy some cheap flags at Home Depot and put them in by each sprinkler head so the aeration service doesn't drill into the heads.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
We have two lawns in the front of our house and we aerate them on our own... it's kind of a lot of work but we live in SF and our lawns are considered small compared to you peoples who live in the burbs. With overfertilizing, you should read the directions cuz if you put too much too often the grass will turn yellow..... :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Good rule to use is to fertilize on each major holiday ie. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day. Second is to use the right fertilizer. In spring use one with Halts which will prevent crabgrass all season long. In fall use winterizer fertilizer. It will protect the grass during winter and help it survive in better condition.
Lastly don't over water. When you water too much the grass does not put down deep roots. Then in case water restrictions are put in place it will go brown quick. If you water just right the deep roots help get more moisture from the soil.

Do search on Google for lawn care. You will get more area specific info. Green green grass in yard is great. :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ahh, yard questions. When I lived with my hubby I had the most perfect lawn; however, I spent alot of time in it. I always fertilized it once a month. If you over fertilize it make sure you water the heck out of it or it will burn your lawn. I always put more then the bag recommended. Since those are generic directions and it depends on soil/climate, etc. You have to go with really trial and error and that is how I learned how to keep my lawn perfect. Now obviously you don't want to cover the yard with clumps of fertilizer, but make sure you see a nice even coverage all over...and water well after. Good luck.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
As mentioned, you can definitely overfertilize, but I wouldn't worry if your estimate of twice as much is accurate.

It would take WAY more than that to burn it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I would say don't scalp the lawn. It shocks and weakens the grass plants and encourages weeds (allows more light to get to the ground) 8)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of your replies and great advice. I am noticing a lot more green grass now. It's been about a week since I put twice the recommended fertilizer. I have one of those hand spreaders, so it evenly spread it. I am noticing areas of darker green grass growing in patches. Then, there is this one area that looks like it was either cut too short or the brown roots are showing. Maybe I burned it there...hmmm. This is St. Austine grass (I think). My back yard isn't this kind of grass, its more like all blade type of grass, and not a root type, like my front yard. Today I am going to mow my back yard, then in three or so days put the fertiizer on it. That's what the fertilizer directions say to do. Even though I didn't really do it like that for the front yard, since i was mowed a week earlier.

Thanks again,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what does thatch it up mean?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thatching is a bear. Basically, overtime you get dead grass that kills the vital grass and can cause disease. Now keeping some of the cut grass can be a benifit, but trying to get it not to become a thached mess is something. You can rake it out with a metal rake (that is time consumming), you can rent a thatcher, or you can scalp your lawn, either in Spring or Fall is the best time of Year to do that, and then reseed, but I don't think you need to go that route ;-)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool, thanks.. I will look into de-thatching/thatching it :)

Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts