Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm thinking on getting a non- HID projector head lights from a group buy on this site but I have a HID kit and would like to know if I can install it. The HID bulbs are H7 size and come from an Audi A6. Keep in mind that a non-HID projector does not have leveling motors and ballast mounts.

Can someone please advise me? :???:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It would work fine as far as I know...I plan on doing the same thing. I already have a 5000K HID kit for the H7. We just have to make sure we aim the projectors correctly.

EDIT: Don't worry about the ballast mounts...you can put them anywhere in the engine bay, as long as the wires are long enough. I have one screwed into the airbox and another screwed in on the plastic piece next to the coolant reservoir (I think it's where the coolant goes, I can't remember. It has a green top).

·
Registered
631 Posts
mrgreek2002 said:
Hey guys, I'm thinking on getting a non- HID projector head lights from a group buy on this site but I have a HID kit and would like to know if I can install it. The HID bulbs are H7 size and come from an Audi A6. Keep in mind that a non-HID projector does not have leveling motors and ballast mounts.

Can someone please advise me? :???:
The non-HID projectors are H1...you can use the ballasts though. Just get rebased H1 xenon bulbs...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
that will work, but your have to make some custom bracketery to make it work :thumbup:

·
Registered
631 Posts
2.0GTI said:
that will work, but your have to make some custom bracketery to make it work :thumbup:
I'm sorry, but forget about custom bracketry. If you going to do something right, do it right the first time around. I can't stand when people hack away at things and then complain on the forums that they screwed something up and want everyone else to help them out. Save yourself the hassle...have some respect for your Passat...modify to improve and take care to get it right...
_______
madigan

·
Registered
969 Posts
Custom braketry will not help here. d2s or d2r bulbs are closer in size to the H7 bulb. The H1 bulb is really short and so the focal point for the light will be really off and so will your beam pattern. You are better off ditching the kit especially if it is OEM and getting a rebased kit for H1.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I run a rebased H1 kit in my look lights and the lighting is great. It is quite comparable to the OEM Hid's. PM me for any questions on the install. I also have a kit for sale in the classifieds thats only 2 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just so that you guys know the HID look alikes to come with leveling motors installed in them. I does not take much to make them functional PG perforance in Canada carry the components that you would need give Andy a call. Because honestly the projectors with the european beam pattern are even an improvement for stock US b5 headlights so you may want to be considerate to other drivers especially when in traffic at night to aim the beams lower to the ground so you don't bling them the when you are on the highway raise them back up and see miles in front of you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are going to get HID lights DO NOT GET A CONVERSION KIT.

Those gay ass conversion kits are made in Japan and will break in a day or two if you are lucky to have them even work!!!

Buy a full conversion kit, the whole 9 yeards.

www.tmtuning.com

They have full Xenon lights for B5's. They are about $1200, the JAP conversion kit is $350.

Made in :puke: JAPAN = Break Down after 1 hour! :evil:
Made in GERMANY = Made to last! :lol:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
When you think about it even if a Grand is hard to come up with you should make the sacrafice and buy the OEM HID headlights because satisfaction level will be higher and all the wiring is done for you any way. All you would have to do is plug it is and you done. If you buy look alikes lets say they are $300 to 400 dollars then you have to get and Hid kit thats another $400 to 500 dollar. The way I see it is you are on your way to a Grand anyway pay the extra $200 to 300 dollar and save you self two extra hours of install time. You are gambling because you don't know the results you are going to get with the retrofit. stick with the OEM and Fahgetaboutit. (Forget about it) :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Kits sold by Cullen. Still waiting on mine..hope to get it soon....I got the Hella Kit---Hella Ballast, Philips rebased bulbs.

I think madigan put a kit in his projectors,,,and its working out great. By the way madigan...you were going to post how/where you got the mounting brackets for the ballasts.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64841&highlight=hid+kit

The way a see it $300 projectors, $350 good HID kit.. ----> $650 for 95% of the performance of OE lights. Once I get the kit installed, I would like to compare the lights with the OE lights...if I can find someone in my area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts