Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of folks here disable the DRL but it is a safety feature. Is it possible (perhaps with euro switch) to turn it on/off on demand, controlled by the driver depending on driving condition?

During hazy daytime hours and even bright daytime hours on two-lane roads, I always turn on my headlights to make my car more visible. Now, they assume that drivers are so lazy or studid, that the car have to do it for you. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You can turn off your DRLs if you use your parking brake. Some people I know disable their DRLs all the time by pulling up on your handbrake one click and driving off...now whether or not that is alright for your parking brake is another debate in itself.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well I do it with the Euroswitch. I have the DRL's on by default, then if I want them off - I turn them to the City Lights position - granted the city lights and tail sides are on but my DRLs are off. I taped over pin 56D??? I believe.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I'm not sure what you're driving but I've got an 02 and I put in the Euroswitch thinking that would allow me to disable them with the switch but that was a no go, so I thought I could tape over the one of the connectors on the switch to disable them but that didn't work either. So I finally decided to go all out and just remove relay 137 (I think that's right) and just be done with those things. But as far as I know there isn't a way to set them up to manually overide them from behind the wheel while the car is going, except that is for the method that Pacent just mentioned. I wonder though if that has any ill effects after a while. :???:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than using the handbrake, is it possible to turn on/off the DRLs by itself using the euroswitch? I'd really like all lights off when not needed.

With the handbrake up a single click, would that turn on a big red light in the dashboard?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
pamploner said:
Other than using the handbrake, is it possible to turn on/off the DRLs by itself using the euroswitch? I'd really like all lights off when not needed.

With the handbrake up a single click, would that turn on a big red light in the dashboard?
I believe the question was just answered - you have a few choices but done that you can turn on/off on demand.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
RL331 said:
SeattleReign - it's relay 173 :) but how come you couldn't get your taping to work?
Thanks RL, I knew I would get that backwards. I tried taping the TFL, the B, and the 56D pin and still nothing was working for me, and I taped that thing well to so I don't know why it didn't work. So in my frustration :mad: I just yanked out relay 173 and was done with it. The one thing that bothers me about the headlights is even with the DRL's disabled you still get those stupid little bulb lights that come one as soon as you turn on your switch. I would love to get rid of those as well but someone was saying that they act as the front parking lights since we don't have an amber colored one like most other cars. ?? Any ideas on this RL? :poke:

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
SeattleReign said:
The one thing that bothers me about the headlights is even with the DRL's disabled you still get those stupid little bulb lights that come one as soon as you turn on your switch. I would love to get rid of those as well but someone was saying that they act as the front parking lights since we don't have an amber colored one like most other cars. ?? Any ideas on this RL? :poke:
That's right. And they work well too in case one of your headlights go out. Last night I noticed an old model Altima with one of its headlights out. You wouldn't be able to tell right away if it's a car with one headlight or a just a motorbike. With these city lights others can still figure it out, and keep you safe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Assume you guys are talking about city lights? Any idea what type of bulb my 2004 GLX would have. I'm not sure if it is the W5W or not. I have disabled my drls, and I would like to get brighter lights in there. I like the idea of having the lights there if a headlight blows. And Rich P, thanks for your site with all of the disabling stuff!!!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
SeattleReign said:
RL331 said:
SeattleReign - it's relay 173 :) but how come you couldn't get your taping to work?
Thanks RL, I knew I would get that backwards. I tried taping the TFL, the B, and the 56D pin and still nothing was working for me, and I taped that thing well to so I don't know why it didn't work. So in my frustration :mad: I just yanked out relay 173 and was done with it. The one thing that bothers me about the headlights is even with the DRL's disabled you still get those stupid little bulb lights that come one as soon as you turn on your switch. I would love to get rid of those as well but someone was saying that they act as the front parking lights since we don't have an amber colored one like most other cars. ?? Any ideas on this RL? :poke:

LOL I think that someone was me on YOUR post!!!! :p

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Barnacle-Billy said:
Assume you guys are talking about city lights? Any idea what type of bulb my 2004 GLX would have. I'm not sure if it is the W5W or not. I have disabled my drls, and I would like to get brighter lights in there. I like the idea of having the lights there if a headlight blows. And Rich P, thanks for your site with all of the disabling stuff!!!
Yes they are W5W bulbs.. (Also known as 194 Wedge Bulbs in some places) I found that white LED's are pretty bright... they work well for the front parking lights because it doesn't need to be reflected, it only needs to project ahead (LED's are good at that). They also last forever...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts