Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened today to my 2002.5 1.8T, up here in frigid Toronto (-23 celsius this morning). No problem warming up and driving to work this AM, but it came on after I fired it up to drive home at 6 PM (-14C). I let it warm up too long (I know that's a no-no, but it was soooo cold the oil in the gearbox felt like glue) and when I drove off, on came that cursed yellow engine icon, First tie in over a year. I thought VW had fixed that hassle by re-programmming the black boxes. Maybe it was just a small misfire that triggered the CEL, due strictloy to tye super-cold weather. I have been told the CEL can turn it self off on its own, I don't feel, like going to the dealer just to get it turned off. Engine ran perfectly all the way home (45 minutes at city-boulevard speed).

· Registered
188 Posts
As long as the CEL is not flashing, dont panic. If It IS flashing, Panic.
The cold weather can trigger a CEL in these cars. Could be a little mosture on the MAF wire inside the air box. OR, could be a cracked vaccuum hose due to the freezing weather.
When it warms up, the CEL may go off by itself after 5 or 6 drive cycles. If not, pop the hood and listen for a vaccuum leak.

· Registered
49 Posts
Don't panic, not yet

Fellow Canadian,

Recently, I also experienced a flashing CEL with the "Emission Workshop" Message. It came on after my Passat was parked for two days in -38C here in Winnipeg. Luckily, before waiting any longer, I discovered the breaker for my block heater jack was off. I ran outside to start the car and it struggled through three attempts. It did start but on came the CEL light. My initial thought was that the cold start caused it. However, last night I looked under the hood for any obvious signs and discovered my air intake duct was not all the way in. I tightened everthing up and CEL light went off. I hope it's as easy for you. By the way, the duct was off because I had recently removed it in order to replace a turning light bulb. Perhaps...?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had the passenger-side low-beam bulb repalced. So maybe... But I also am the guy who had his turbo replaced (see other thead) so maybe one of the hoses isn't on firmly. I'm taking it in tomorrow.

· Registered
813 Posts
Well, speaking from this cold climate (-20F earlier this week), KNOCK ON WOOD, I've never had a CEL from cold weather (Never had a CEL for any reason). 2003 1.8T 36k miles.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news!

CEL went out all by itself. When I started up this morning, no CEL. This was after about five star-ups since the light first came on 36 hrs ago. Now, if other VW problems couild be solved so easily!!!

· Registered
93 Posts
Le Sharq can correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe this is a problem of condensenation/evaporation, which can be linked to a frozen evaporation purge valve, located at the base of your airbox. I have noticed that when the non-flashing check engine light comes on, I fail to hear the noise that is normally produced from the valve.
Also, should you not get a check engine light, you could always shut off your ASR or ESP, if you miss having a light on...
I would assume a little lithium grease at the seal would cure the problem, no?

· Registered
559 Posts
why should you panic if the CEL is flashing?

· Registered
782 Posts
Friday 6 am 0 degrees and my 99 1.8t Passat threw a CEL ( steady - not flashing ) . Engine ran normally , no shakes , normal power . After a few shutdown and restarts during the morning the light cleared . Why did it happen ? My take is that my car hasn't screwed up for some time now and it wanted me to know it was still thinking of me . Makes a much sense as most VW stuff .

· Registered
559 Posts
tazmo said:
If CEL is flashing, you are probably not running on all cylinders, and are damaging your catalytic converter.
see, that wouldnt make me panic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.