Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticied a slight rotor shimmy when braking hard in my wife's 2003 Variant. The car has 26K miles. Can the rotors be turned? I haven't inspected yet, but I assume the front rotors are the culprit.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yes and no. VW made the rotor spec too tight that after turning the rotors, it might not pass the spec on the rotor width.

on average, people get anywhere between 25K to 50K miles out of the stock ones before replacing. I've upgraded my fronts around 25K miles, but had about 60+ % of life left on the stock pads.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The culprit may not necessarily be the rotors. It may be bent wheel. You may not feel it while driving, but it shudders under braking. Just FYI.

The VW OEM rotors are quite soft, and by the time you need new pads the rotor is gone and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You can use a micrometer to measure the rotor thickness and compare it to the values in a bentley manual (or someone can post up here)

Another common problem is warping rear rotors (which is covered under warranty if you have it) You can find this out simply by pulling up LIGHTLY on the ebrake while the car is in motion and keeping the button pushed in so that it doesn't lock into place. Do this in a parking lot or something with no one else around and see if you can feel the pulsing in your hand. If you do, then it's the rears that are the culprit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The shimmy on the rotors can also be caused by sticky spots on the rotor. If you have been using the brakes heavilly and then stop the bonding glue in the pads can soak into the surface of the disk creating a sticky spot. A wipe over with emery cloth and a de greasing agent (vinegar solution) can solve the problem. With vented rotors warping is unlikely unless you have been towing or driving on a track or mountain pass or the caliper is seized.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses! :bow:
I'll try the e-brake thing and go ahead and bit the bullet for new front rotors if that isn't it.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
on average, people get anywhere between 25K to 50K miles out of the stock ones before replacing
I have 52k mixed city/highway with a full season and a half of autocross and at this rate, I don't plan on replacing until 200k. :lol: Not to mention that the pads look like they're new. :suspicio: A few other 2000+ owners have experienced the same thing, with the pad compound introduced that year...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.