Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an 2003 Passat with 108K miles and the dealer, Alexandria VW, where I've been going for service since buying the car used, says I need new upper and lower control arms on both sides replaces and an alignment. They want to charge me $4000 for the work and after doing some research on here that seems crazy high. Any good shops in the DC area for this sort of work? I am mechanically inept and zero chance of me figuring out how to do this myself. Thanks in advance!
JonD in DC

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,713 Posts
New German Performance in Lorton, VA. I use their Aberdeen, MD shop when I don't have time or the tools. Top notch. There are also members in your area that can maybe look it over for you and give their opinion of what is needed. Alignment is not necessarily needed unless you do the tie rods.

Some of us are pretty handy with wrenches too. I've done 3 control arm jobs, 4 axles, 3 suspension change outs on my 04 alone. Plus all maintenance and brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi VAGguy thanks for the recommendation I will check it out! And if someone in my area wanted to take a look that would be great, needless to say I don't have much faith in what the dealer's told me after cruising around these forums for a while. How to get in touch with local members? I know there are local forums on here post something there?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
To give you a rock bottom reference, an aftermarket control arms set can be had for about $300. I would renew the shocks while at it for another $300. Labor will run about 8 hours, so let's call that $1000 for shops in your region. Alignment another $100. $1700 total target.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,713 Posts
Hi VAGguy thanks for the recommendation I will check it out! And if someone in my area wanted to take a look that would be great, needless to say I don't have much faith in what the dealer's told me after cruising around these forums for a while. How to get in touch with local members? I know there are local forums on here post something there?
I'll direct them to this thread for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hirnbeiss that's more what I would have expected and well within my budget! And thanks again VAGuy looking forward to hear from some other folks in the area.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
JonD, I am in Alexandria and have a complete set of Meyle HD control arms for your B5.5 NIB minus the uppers. I also know of a couple local resources to get them installed for you at more reasonable prices. PM me if you like. Or email me at [email protected]. I can get you hooked up and on a much more reasonable cost glide path.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all I have my arms and an appointment at NGP in Lorton in a few weeks! And thanks to Keith for all your help and advice and taking a look at my car for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts