Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to check out more resources for the Miata. The only one I could find was miata.net . I hope there's more stuff out there. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, I made the purchase today and I plan to pick up this car later in the week! There are some dents that need to be worked on, but the body and paint were very good in general, and the motor ran good.

I may also go out and buy a set of 15x7 Rota Sliptreams in black w/ a set of Azenis (have the exact same setup on my '92 Civic hatch and love them). I will try to post pics when I get the car and hopefully the wheels put on. 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
uuummmm....sunburst yellow. one of my favorites.

a limited slip / hard-top miata is the way to go in my opinion.

the pics look really nice. i'd say anything under $5k is an ok price for that car....especially in cali. i'd feel better with something under $4k myself. could probably pic it up cheaper here in the midwest as cold as it's been lately!

nice job!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, I prob could have found a better deal. In temns of mileage, I've seen some clean title '90s for 50k mi for 5k, but the body was always in very bad condition and they were always red in color (I am really sick of red cars because my Civic and CRX are also both red), or black which isn't my thing. I've always wanted a egg-yolkish yellow car, so the color meant a good deal to me.

It was a kinda odd car buying experience for me. I just had an instant, irrational urge one evening to get a miata. I looked up the net to do some research, and bought it over the weekend. I really need to some self-restraint as now I have 3 cars (which are all going to be/have been modded to a certain degree). Oh well..

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
What are your plans for the Miata? My friend's Miata has a Greddy Turbo and a plethora of suspension goodies. That car is amazing. :bow:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's a really fun car to drive. I don't think I'm going to do too much to the car this year. I will get a new set of black Rota 15x7 wheels and Azenis tires this week. I really want to auto-X the miata car and learn to play with RWD cars in general.

Otherwise, I'm not going to do anything until later in the year, as I'm also building a Honda lsvtec motor for my CRX that pretty close to completion. That car also needs some other work done to it, so I'll realistically have to wait till the end of the year before I can do more mods with the Miata.

Otherwise, I've been trying to do a good deal of research on modding the Miata. I can't really say at this pt what I really want, but most likely I will have the car mildly modded as a weekend warrior/auto-X car. I'll prob get some Koni shocks, hypercoil springs, racing beat header/exhaust/intake, perhaps a little cosmetic mods, and call it a day. Building a spec miata would be fun, but it's not something I could afford to do in the near future. Having two track cars would not be very sensible imo.

·
Registered
215 Posts
schmove said:
What are your plans for the Miata? My friend's Miata has a Greddy Turbo and a plethora of suspension goodies. That car is amazing. :bow:
Miata.net :thumbup: Member #3841

1990 A-pkg Crystal White
GReddy turbo
RX7 II intercooler
2.5" Enthuza catback
RacingBeat springs
KYB AGX shocks
Flyin' Miata sways
16" SSR Comps
RacingBeat Type 1 nose
Hayashi taillights :bow:
Momo Champion steering wheel w/SnapOff system
...misc chrome bits...

Ya, Ive got issues :weirdo:
:wink:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I'm suprised there are so many miata owners in Clubb5!

NA6CE- that's cool you did so much work to your miata! Pls post pics of your ride! I hope to check it out sometime. It would be interesting to see how a turbo miata drives. :)

What quick release hub are you using? I need to get them soon for my cars. I plan to use the guady looking momo commando (which I can't get rid of), or the smaller momo monte carlo if I find a deal on honda-tech.com

BTW-where do you miata guys look for deals on parts? The miata.net classfields section seemed kinda small. There must be another way to scavenge for deals!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Slipstreams on a Miata? You traitor! :wink: Spoon's gonna come knockin', wanting their wheel design back on their own car. :p Miata's beg for the Subzeros!

If you're planning to build it into a race car, Mazda has a great contigency program, where you basically can buy parts at huge discounts (maybe even at cost). Well, not that you need another racecar... :wink: How's the insurance on that thing? I got a quote for it, listed as a pleasure car, and it was well into the thousands (even as a 4th car! :shock: ).

·
Registered
215 Posts
ronaldmcdonald said:
NA6CE- that's cool you did so much work to your miata! Pls post pics of your ride! I hope to check it out sometime. It would be interesting to see how a turbo miata drives. :)

What quick release hub are you using? I need to get them soon for my cars. I plan to use the guady looking momo commando (which I can't get rid of), or the smaller momo monte carlo if I find a deal on honda-tech.com

BTW-where do you miata guys look for deals on parts? The miata.net classfields section seemed kinda small. There must be another way to scavenge for deals!
I'll post some updated pics in the next couple days (Ive got the flu and most of my current pics are poor quality).

Im using the Tekniq snap-off for Momo wheels http://www.tekniqauto.com/US/snapoff/snapoff.htm ...only dissapointment was them insisting I needed an additional adapter for my Momo wheel that I didnt end up needing. Im using the Momo hub adapter from FinishLine, its plug n play but more expensive than the one Momo sells (you actualy have to get a 323,rx7,... adapter and then cut away parts of it since Momo doesnt make one for the Miata).

Ive used Ebay for alot of parts. I no longer use the miata.net classifieds unless I know the seller or am familiar with them from the forums. If you goto the "marketplace" section there you can get good prices on aftermarket and much better prices on OEM parts over local delaers. I use FinishLine and Mazda South for OEM parts.

Did you end up with the '92 LE Sunburst Yellow? Thats a good find if you did. Wanna trade? ;) Im looking to pick up a '93 LE black w/red interior and a few other limited bits. I'll transfer some of my parts to that car and make the '90 a Spec Miata.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
STEALTH- Lol, Spoon actually had contracted another company called Desmond to make their wheels. The Spoon SW88 is actually a Regamaster EVO wheel that has a flat black finish and and labled 'Spoon'. Seems like barely any Spoon parts are made by themselves. Their cams are Honda OEM grinded to their specs (which are relatively mild), and their cam gears are actually made and are identicle to Toda Racing's. All Spoon does is get other ppl's stuff, stamp their name on it, and sell it for a higher price, lol. Kinda ironic that Rota would be doing a knockoff on a company that already does the same.

But hey, at least I didn't get the Mugen knockoff's (the C8, C10, and the Group N)!

I would have gotten the subzero's, but I don't think Rota makes that wheel in 15x7. For the time bieng, I think only the slips come in that size, while all the others are 15x6.5. With the Miata, I want to go with wider wheels to fit the already wide Azenis.

Hmm..I'll have to look into the discount program you mentioned!

Don't know how painful insurance is going to get! I think it will be pretty bad considering i have 4pts on my record (2 accidents in the past 3 yrs). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My '89 CRX Si was $1400 annual for med level insurance, so the Miata will most likely be a PITA.

NA6CE- Yes, i've also been looking at Ebay. Seems pretty diff to find parts for the Miata, but I won't do too much modding, so I guess it should be ok. I'll be sure to check out the sites you mentioned!

Yeah, the car I got is the '92 Sunburst Yellow w/ factory hardtop. Not sure if it's an LE though. The black w/ red interior is pretty nice too. I saw one on Miata.net and/or autotrader but it was out of my budget @ $7k iirc. Lol, this car I got is a keeper! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts