Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a COMPUSTAR 2WSS remote start sitting on my desk as you read this. everyone around town is trying to charge me hundreds of dollars to install it, does anyone know install one STEP BY STEP and care to explain it to me?! thx
-timc

·
Registered
111 Posts
Spend the couple hundred to have it installed. You have to know what you're doing... you could potentially render your car useless by cutting the wrong wire... possibly frying ignition components

Plus with a 5 spd, you'll need to add a magnetic switch that tells the ignition its in neutral... plus an immobilizer bypass adapter.

You'll spend more fixing what got fried that you will getting it installed professionally...Long and short.... spend the $$ and save yourself the headache.

Also search the forums... been discussed many times

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
all of the install is straight foward ... do you have the valet key and does it allow you to start your car cause your going to need it to bypass the factory Immoblizer II and thats the hardest part of the install (to get right)....

2003 passat alarm wiring diagram

12V red Positive (+) ignition harness
Starter red/black Positive (+) ignition harness
Starter 2 none
Ignition black Positive (+) ignition harness
2nd Ignition none
3rd Ignition none
Accessory yellow/black Positive (+) ignition harness
Accessory 2 none
Tachometer [3] ignition coil or coil pack
Power Door (Lock)
Wiring Diagram for
[Negative (-)] Door Lock red/green Negative (-) in driver door
Power Door (Unlock)
Wiring Diagram for
[Negative (-)] Door Unlock red/blue [1] Negative (-) in driver door
Door Trigger blue/gray Negative (-) 23 pin plug, pin 21 @ CCM [2]
Dome Supervision
Wiring Diagram for
[] Dome comes on with unlock
Headlights yellow/brown Positive (+) headlight switch
[B]Parklight Positive green/red Positive (+) headlight switch
Parklight Negative[/B] none
Wipers blk/grn(L),blk/pur(H Positive (+) steering column
Left Front Window
(Up/Down) [4]
Right Front Window
(Up/Down)
Left Rear Window
(Up/Down)
Right Rear Window
(Up/Down)
Trunk/Hatch Pin brown/black Negative (-) 23 pin plug, pin 10 @ CCM [2]
Hood Pin brown/red Negative (-) 15 pin plug, pin 5 @ CCM [2]
Trunk/Hatch Release
Wiring Diagram for

[Negative (-)] Trunk/Hatch brn/gry or brn/grn Negative (-) 23 pin plug, pin 2 @ CCM [2]
Factory Alarm
(Arm) arms with lock
Factory Alarm
(Disarm) disarms with unlock
Horn blk/yel (alarm horn) Positive (+) 15 pin plug, pin 11 @ CCM [2]
Brake red/black Positive (+) brake pedal switch
Door Motor
(Lock)
Door Motor
(Unlock)
Disarm
Disarm No Unlock none

Additional Info:
This vehicle has an immobilizer system that needs to be bypassed when adding remote start. [1] Unlock requires a double pulse. First pulse will disarm the alarm and unlock the driver door, second pulse will unlock all the doors. [2] The CCM (Comfort System Central Control Module) is mounted on floorpan in protective box, under the carpet in front of the driver seat. [3] For tach go to one of the ignition coils or coil pack and use a wire that is NOT red/green or brown/yellow. [4] Extended triggers on the lock/unlock wires will roll the windows up/down and open/close the sun roof. Use validity channels to control.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
remember that it very dangerous for a remote starter to be installed into a manual transmission..... netural is your friend :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The compustar has a run while exiting option so unless your reach in a window and put it in gear - the car stays in neutral.

Its one type of fail safe for the manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I don't mean to thread jack. I am just wondering which remote starts can be installed on a 5spd (or are intended to be installed on a 5spd). I looked through the DEI website looking for one, but still have no clue. I am just looking for a place that I can buy one and have it installed. The only other thread that mentioned any models was over three years old. Any help would be awesome. If this post is a problem I'll make a new thread. TIA.

thad.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Are there places that will do this? Or do I have to find a "shady" operation to do it? Yes, I am ignorant when it comes to this. I don't know the legality of it all.

thad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The people I work with wont touch it (bestbuy), and some of my friends that do it for a living told me they refused to touch it, due to legality and just because "I WOULD HIT SOMETHING" I had a VIPER installed on a civic I owned loved it, except when shops parked the car in gear, or when i was trying to get a MD inspection and they remote started it on the car lift.....(not a great day for me) if you decide to do it.... be very careful.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Are there places that will do this? Or do I have to find a "shady" operation to do it? Yes, I am ignorant when it comes to this. I don't know the legality of it all.

thad.

It will be difficult for you to find a shop to install it. Ive worked for them all(BB, CC, and another). It is an incredible liability!!! Your best bet would be to make friends with someone who KNOWS THEIR STUFF and talk them into it. I honestly dont see you getting it done at a reputable place.

Good luck to you though! There have been many times when I thought about it but then thought to myself......maybe I just shouldnt take THAT risk. I ALWAYS put my car in neutral when I get out but it only takes 1 time for someone else to do it or barely be in gear. No thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have used ones by Ultrastarters.com and Scytek.net on my 5spd cars. This is how the safety works.

Car is running with key.
Park car (still running) in neutral w/ ebrake on.
Do remote start take over by hitting the start button on the remote.
Remove keys and exit vehicle (car still running)
Close door and car will shut down.

The unit has to see the ebrake on and the door trigger open and close while running. Then it will start. If you open the door to get something out of the car later it cancels out the starter so it will not start when you hit the button later on.

As for doing it yourself, I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts

thad.

when i did installs with remote start for a 5speed i would do the entire install and have a wire that the customer cut to bypass the clutch pedal switch and they were on there own after that ........ (MECP tech durning 1998-2001)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have used ones by Ultrastarters.com and Scytek.net on my 5spd cars. This is how the safety works.

Car is running with key.
Park car (still running) in neutral w/ ebrake on.
Do remote start take over by hitting the start button on the remote.
Remove keys and exit vehicle (car still running)
Close door and car will shut down.

The unit has to see the ebrake on and the door trigger open and close while running. Then it will start. If you open the door to get something out of the car later it cancels out the starter so it will not start when you hit the button later on.

As for doing it yourself, I would not recommend it.

I like that. Not only would I have a remote start. It would work like a pseudo-turbo timer. If I were to go through one of those websites are there any installers that would undertake the install?

thad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
all of the install is straight foward ... do you have the valet key and does it allow you to start your car cause your going to need it to bypass the factory Immoblizer II and thats the hardest part of the install (to get right)....

2003 passat alarm wiring diagram

12V red Positive (+) ignition harness
Starter red/black Positive (+) ignition harness
Starter 2 none
Ignition black Positive (+) ignition harness
2nd Ignition none
3rd Ignition none
Accessory yellow/black Positive (+) ignition harness
Accessory 2 none
Tachometer [3] ignition coil or coil pack
Power Door (Lock)
Wiring Diagram for
Power Door (Unlock)
Wiring Diagram for
Dome Supervision
Wiring Diagram for
[] Dome comes on with unlock
Headlights yellow/brown Positive (+) headlight switch
[B]Parklight Positive green/red Positive (+) headlight switch
Parklight Negative[/B] none
Wipers blk/grn(L),blk/pur(H Positive (+) steering column
Left Front Window
(Up/Down) [4]
Right Front Window
(Up/Down)
Left Rear Window
(Up/Down)
Right Rear Window
(Up/Down)
Trunk/Hatch Pin brown/black Negative (-) 23 pin plug, pin 10 @ CCM [2]
Hood Pin brown/red Negative (-) 15 pin plug, pin 5 @ CCM [2]
Trunk/Hatch Release
Wiring Diagram for

[Negative (-)] Trunk/Hatch brn/gry or brn/grn Negative (-) 23 pin plug, pin 2 @ CCM [2]
Factory Alarm
(Arm) arms with lock
Factory Alarm
(Disarm) disarms with unlock
Horn blk/yel (alarm horn) Positive (+) 15 pin plug, pin 11 @ CCM [2]
Brake red/black Positive (+) brake pedal switch
Door Motor
(Lock)
Door Motor
(Unlock)
Disarm
Disarm No Unlock none

Additional Info:
This vehicle has an immobilizer system that needs to be bypassed when adding remote start. [1] Unlock requires a double pulse. First pulse will disarm the alarm and unlock the driver door, second pulse will unlock all the doors. [2] The CCM (Comfort System Central Control Module) is mounted on floorpan in protective box, under the carpet in front of the driver seat. [3] For tach go to one of the ignition coils or coil pack and use a wire that is NOT red/green or brown/yellow. [4] Extended triggers on the lock/unlock wires will roll the windows up/down and open/close the sun roof. Use validity channels to control.

Power Door (Lock)
Wiring Diagram for
Power Door (Unlock)
Wiring Diagram for

I have tried this many times and can't get a damn thing! #1...What they hell is the door trigger? I have a clifford remote start and it doesn't have this as an output.
#2... When testing the Red/Blue wire it shows +12v.....this can't be right.
#3 The Red/Green pulses on the meter when you hit lock or unlock.

What gives? I got everything right but this so far. When I remote start the car it works just fine.......but the parking lights flash the entire time. Its got to be the factory alarm because it is turned off with the door unlock. How do I hook these wires up? Are they IN the door, or IN the wire cover (tube) between the door and the car?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Power Door (Lock)
Wiring Diagram for
Power Door (Unlock)
Wiring Diagram for

I have tried this many times and can't get a damn thing! #1...What they hell is the door trigger? I have a clifford remote start and it doesn't have this as an output.
#2... When testing the Red/Blue wire it shows +12v.....this can't be right.
#3 The Red/Green pulses on the meter when you hit lock or unlock.

What gives? I got everything right but this so far. When I remote start the car it works just fine.......but the parking lights flash the entire time. Its got to be the factory alarm because it is turned off with the door unlock. How do I hook these wires up? Are they IN the door, or IN the wire cover (tube) between the door and the car?
some cars uses a negative pulse to trigger the door lock while some use positive trigger.

some car starters while the car is started have flashing side markers or constantly on side markers.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
larms and remote starts should be left for professionals. And personally I would never give and help or written information on how to put a remote start on a manual. No smart legitimate shop will put a remote start on a manual short of you being a long time customer or friend... The liability Is HUGE!!!!!! And fails safe remote start... Hahahaha what a joke I've seen more than enoch of those so called fail safes do just that... And if you cut the clutch switch, well I don't care if "you never put your car in gear" it only takes once or if you let somebdy else move your car and you hit that button..... You get what you deserve and hope to god there is nobody in front of it!!!!! I watched one of those so called fail safe units with the addition of a magnetic and butterfly backup circuit fail and put somebody in the hospital in critical condition several years ago.

Yeah its cool.... But you better be prepared to take the risks involved... Because its no joke!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts