Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated 3/20/09:

I have a socketed ECU THAT WAS SOCKETED 5 YEARS AGO on a 2003 Passat. The stock chip is on a socketed circuit board. The GIAC chip causes the car to stall (inspecting the solder joints under a microscope, all the joints look good, so it must be an internal problem with that chip).

I HAVE RECEIVED A REPLY FROM GIAC - I PROBABLY WASN'T PATIENT ENOUGH TO HEAR BACK FROM THEM. THE CHIP IS WELL OUT OF ITS WARRANTY PERIOD.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS STILL RELEVANT, BUT I DOUBT I'LL GO THIS ROUTE. So, does anyone know if I can get an APR flash with my existing configuration? That is, would it even matter if the stock chip is hard-soldered into the motherboard or if it's socketed?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Why don't you ask APR is they can flash a socketed ECU? All B5.5s wehre supposed to be flashable, I wonder why a shop decided to solder a socket in?

8,184 Posts
I have a socketed ECU on a 2003 Passat. The stock chip is on a socketed circuit board. The GIAC chip causes the car to stall (inspecting the solder joints under a microscope, all the joints look good, so it must be an internal problem with that chip).

I haven't received a reply from GIAC after numerous e-mail attempts. Other people have had better luck, so who knows what that means. The shop who performed the work told me to contact GIAC directly through GIAC's website, so they apparently can't help. There's no phone contact # for GIAC.

So, does anyone know if I can get an APR flash with my existing configuration? That is, would it even matter if the stock chip is hard-soldered into the motherboard or if it's socketed?

Thanks,

Dave
I wouldn't do it at all. You need to contact whoever the tuner and have them correct the problem. They will do it free of charge for it is their work that has issues.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I had a 2003 V6 - when it was done, they socketed it, but the GIAC program ran just fine.
My 2003 W8 was flashloaded for GIAC programming. Go figure.
I'd try to get the GIAC problem fixed by GIAC, before paying APR to flash it.
Sounds like your vendor (did they do the soldering?) isn't standing behind you.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Almost sounds like the shop did the soldering, but did not sell them the chip. If they sold you the chip, I'd expect them to stand behind their product.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, I failed to mention that the orginal shop socketed the ECU 5 years ago - and the socket still works with the stock chip, so the original shop did nothing wrong. And, GIAC warranties its products for 1 year - so it lasted well beyond that.

On a positive note, I did hear back from GIAC today and they told me to send the ECU to them, so :thumbup: to them!

Thanks for the replies.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,747 Posts
Well, good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts