Haha - forgot the hockey puck and bracket lol

...all better

tomorrow, bank 2

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
@AndreasPassat - I just used the hint from the service manual to put the cams in off of TDC, then turn them back to be timed once the 2 & 4 brackets are tight - then add the other brackets in. No cam bending at all

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
@AndreasPassat - I just used the hint from the service manual to put the cams in off of TDC, then turn them back to be timed once the 2 & 4 brackets are tight - then add the other brackets in. No cam bending at all
That works!

I'll be honest, I just do it old school. I don't think I've ever actually read the 'procedure' from the Bentley.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann and PZ

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Gotta ask, what's with the wire twisted through the cam chain?
Any paint I put on would have been cleaned off.. so.. The wire had two purposes:

1 - The wire was 2 links inside where the cam should sit
2 - The wire closer to the intake cam was longer so that I could keep track of the direction of travel so that the chain keeps going in the same orientation that it's used to going before my mitts got at it.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
How many times did I clean that friggin black tube - or the clear one?? I don’t know. Oh, WHY doesn’t the anticlockwise seal come with a cone?? Haha - I reused the one from a clockwise one

now to get the cam sensor hub on..

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Hehe - the crappy plastic tabs of the battery screw-in cap broke off on my digital torque wrench... grrr

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
423 Posts
How many times did I clean that friggin black tube - or the clear one?? I don’t know. Oh, WHY doesn’t the anticlockwise seal come with a cone?? Haha - I reused the one from a clockwise one

View attachment 103029
When I did mine, I used a piece of my shopvac extension wand - was the right diameter & worked like a charm. Field-expedient !

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I think... I think it’s back to where it was... even tested the bar on it...

now to replace all the broken dry twigs of the vacuum lines - more room right now - then slap on the valve covers...
When I did mine, I used a piece of my shopvac extension wand - was the right diameter & worked like a charm. Field-expedient !
no way! That seems about right! Haha

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I'd slap on those valve covers now so flying bits of plastic don't find their way down into the oil sump you just tore apart and inspected!
At least put some rags over everything to keep out the dirt / debris.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I'd slap on those valve covers now so flying bits of plastic don't find their way down into the oil sump you just tore apart and inspected!
At least put some rags over everything to keep out the dirt / debris.
Yeah, I slapped myself upside the head and put the covers on almost as soon as I wrote that / all done for the night - both covers on and torqued...

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
I think... I think it’s back to where it was... even tested the bar on it...

View attachment 103032

now to replace all the broken dry twigs of the vacuum lines - more room right now - then slap on the valve covers...

no way! That seems about right! Haha
I suggest you re-check the cam chain timing.
Bank 1 appears to be correct, but bank 2 appears to be set to 15 rollers.
It might just appear that way because of the angles that the pic was taken from.
Note: The bank 1 pic below is incorrect, it should be like the the 1.8T.
File:Cam timing chains.gif - Ross-Tech Wiki
NOTE: V6 Bank 1 pic is not correct, it should be like the 1.8T.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
It’s 16 to the outside of the timing holes (inclusive count of the end links). The picture angle is only valid on the intake cam. It doesn’t come over the top of the exhaust cam enough. And for the first time, I had to share the engine video in the ‘what did you do’ channel as it sounds better and smoother than it ever has! There’s no way it would sound as good if timing was off. It accelerates like a beast through 6K RPM

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
It’s 16 to the outside of the timing holes (inclusive count of the end links). The picture angle is only valid on the intake cam. It doesn’t come over the top of the exhaust cam enough. And for the first time, I had to share the engine video in the ‘what did you do’ channel as it sounds better and smoother than it ever has! There’s no way it would sound as good if timing was off. It accelerates like a beast through 6K RPM
There are no holes referenced in this alignment.
It would sound good, and accelerate well if it is out by 1 roller, but it would likely through a code.

As I said I can't be sure from your pic, but it looks less than 16, I suggest you re-check it.
See the Ross Tech diagrams, Bank 2 should be set as in V6 Bank 2 diagram, Bank 1 should be set as 1.8T.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
There are no holes referenced in this alignment.
It would sound good, and accelerate well if it is out by 1 roller, but it would likely through a code.

As I said I can't be sure from your pic, but it looks less than 16, I suggest you re-check it.
See the Ross Tech diagrams, Bank 2 should be set as in V6 Bank 2 diagram, Bank 1 should be set as 1.8T.
Holes - gaps - slots - I dunno what to call them :) But you need to use those 'holes' to line up the bearing cap marks, right? Or the timing will be really wonky and destroy your valves.

See highlighted area in this pic: red arrow are the 'holes' and yellow lines show how the links line up over the 'holes' - and timing marks on the cam bearing

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
As I said, I don't know whether it is correct or not, but roller #15 appears to be to the left of the timing mark.
I wouldn't call it either way, I just thought it would be wise for you to check it.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts