Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. It was probably more of a thing before Amazon...
Ok, but where would I put that? In the cam journals? On the cam followers?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'd worry most about the cam journals since they are aluminum. Oil works too but the lube will stay put until it's washed out by the oil pressure.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Here is pic of dissected top half of CCT, as you can see spring and pin go inside piston/shoe. As a rule of thumb springs will fail prematurely if compressed more than a third of their O.A.L., thus the pin and I suspect as well it actually limits advance cam timing, regardless.dimensions of pictured are spring - 2.025" O.A.L. ,pin -1.327" O.A.L. so at about .700" from just engaging pressure of spring the
20210408_174157.jpg
pin should be felt.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
This btw was a HT/Hamburg Tech CCT from a popular VW parts supplier. Put it in when I did a big R&R at about 200K, lasted 10K before cam code. Used HTs before with zero issues, after removal found spring ends were not ground parallel. Will reuse this one on the next 1.8. Pin is injection molded and has mold/cavity in the end but has #647 etched/pressed in the side so maybe that has to do with engine designation.?....... a Hans and Fritz enigma

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Jeeze - very cool info, thanks @cchief22 - So if max is .7” compression, and it’s already compressed somewhat while installed, there very little you can actually compress. Also, looking at any CCT available on an online parts web store, the attached locking tool is barely threaded and NOT past the bump stop ever... lesson learned... all parts (tools & new ‘shoes’) should be here by next Wednesday. Will update with results then!

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
the spring while the CCT is "dormant" is compressed.(engine not running) the cam is in the max. retard position. when CCT is manipulated oil is pulsed thru that little screen port and piston with the assist of oil pressure pushes up on the chain making it's path/linear distance longer across the top of CCT and shorter underneath "pulling" the intake cam closer thus advancing the timing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah, makes sense. Sh*t, this is cool stuff. The chain does see some pressure, so it must stretch over time? What’s the lifespan of the chain? 400K km? Sooner? ie- when should one think about replacing it?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Yeah, makes sense. Sh*t, this is cool stuff. The chain does see some pressure, so it must stretch over time? What’s the lifespan of the chain? 400K km? Sooner? ie- when should one think about replacing it?
The chain does wear, however so miniscule, so insignificant not even worth thinking about, the shoes are way way more a factor. Theoretically, since the shoes and springs are designed to balance/center the system , any stretch is equal in the tops section and the bottom section of chain therefore, stuff still remains centered.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
If you’ve ever wondered why CCT shoes might break off at the ends? it’s from poor manufacturing processes. Look at my old grooved shoes below. See all the bubbles getting exposed by wear? Very poor manufacturing standards.

speaking of old pads... how do I remove them??

everything else is organized:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The nasty:

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Those CCT pads are just getting broken in. :ROFLMAO:

Here's one of the CCT's out of my motor.

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yikes!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So, how does one get the pads off?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
So, how does one get the pads off?
they snap on and off.....tightly........or in APs case they wear off "pores/bubbles" that is for oil retention, lol, as a side bar not sure what the material is, what they are made of, seems like a phenolic or some other top secret, project x thermoset material, whatever it is it is definitely wear resistant considering the environment they operate in.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
they snap on and off.....tightly........or in APs case they wear off "pores/bubbles" that is for oil retention, lol, as a side bar not sure what the material is, what they are made of, seems like a phenolic or some other top secret, project x thermoset material, whatever it is it is definitely wear resistant considering the environment they operate in.
Probably, they’re the last stop in world of plastic polymers; nylon. Tough as nails, and 100% un-recyclable.

·
Registered
28,034 Posts
I've wondered if the bubbling in the pads was from heat produced by the chain riding over them without sufficient oil. I've seen it several times.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Your pads are badly worn because dino oil was used, use only the correct full synthetic oil.
Well, for the last 5 years before I owned the car, I saw it across the street and knew the owners. While a fantastic neighbour and who had become a good friend, he refused to do anything to any of his cars. Since it was leaking oil, he put so much in that he probably thought it was as good as an oil change. Type of oil? If the bottle said motor oil, that was good enough for him. I wouldn’t have been surprised if an oil test found 2-stroke in there. When I got the car, it was in awful shape, sounded like a cornered raccoon when it did drive, and could barely get up to 90Kph. He even had green gas station coolant in the trunk, just in case

Since starting with it here, only :
50200 5W40 syn certified euro oil
G 002 000 Steering
G-40 coolant
And soon to be done G 052 162 A2 (TL52162) ATF

It’s no wonder the car died as soon as I got it home. It only had enough spirit to make that last trip across the street to my ‘hospital’ haha

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Probably, they’re the last stop in world of plastic polymers; nylon. Tough as nails, and 100% un-recyclable.
I'm not for certain by any means but my guess (based on what I've seen in the industry) it might be a glass filled cast 6/6 nylon. Tougher than moon rock and very heat resistant.
Considering how many revolutions those cam chains make across those pads, pretty impressive.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann
41 - 60 of 123 Posts