Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few starting problems the other day. Took longer than normal to fire, and sometimes took more than 1 turn of the key. The CEL code was both banks CPS malfunction but I failed to write down the exact codes.. It started up fine today. I know the timing is OK.
For those with experience in this area, should I just change them out now before I end up stranded? I can't imagine this is a problem that will fix itself.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
If possible check them codes again and post 'em up.
CPS sensor failures are rare and not likely, especially both of them at the same time.
I would pop the timing belt covers and check your timing belt tension. I would also check the timing marks to verify timing is correct.

Reactions: Tomvw

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
I suggest you do NOT crank it again before verifying the timing.
It is almost certain that the timing belt has jumped teeth.
Be careful even turning the engine by hand.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The other thing is, the cam sensors provide no corrective feedback for the ECM to adjust timing. They merely report to the driver via the ECM to MIL lamp,to diagnostic device, that timing is not correct. They usually report a retarded cam(s) position code versus and/or advanced code.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
It is almost certain that the timing belt has jumped teeth.
I was thinking the same in the back of my head but I didn't want to lay out the doom and gloom scenario right out of the gate.
But deep down, I'm thinking that might be the case.

Exact thing happened on my 2004 GLX V6, couple of days after I sold it to a co-worker.
It jumped a few teeth, threw all kinds of codes, ran like absolute garbage. Fortunately no damage was done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what is odd about this - it runs fine. The codes didn't come back and I drove it a good 30 miles after this problem last reared it's ugly head. I guess I'll take the Dakota to work tomorrow and get the Passat back into the garage, yet again. I changed this timing belt less than 5000 miles ago - it best not be failing already.

Thanks for all the help (and the warnings!). I'll let you know what I discover.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
That's what is odd about this - it runs fine.
I changed this timing belt less than 5000 miles ago - it best not be failing already.
My 2004 GLX that I referred to did three cross country road trips. First one was from Milwaukee to West Palm Beach to Houston and then back to Milwaukee.
The second one from Milwaukee to Burbank and then back to Milwaukee.
The third one from Milwaukee to Houston and then back to Milwaukee.
Drove it around home base for a few months (Milwaukee) and then sold it.

Couple days later my co-worker while at work comes up to me and says, "hey that car you sold me runs like crap".
Because I had good relationship with him at work I told him I would make the fix for free.

And here is the 'free' fix.
This was the fastest service mode position timing fix I've ever done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will get her in the garage and up on the ramps this PM. But, if the timing belt jumped some teeth, wouldn't those codes come back almost immediately?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I will get her in the garage and up on the ramps this PM. But, if the timing belt jumped some teeth, wouldn't those codes come back almost immediately?
In my case the tensioner roller came loose a bit, disrupting the cam to crank alignment. The code -timing over retarded- would come right back up no matter how many times I erased it.
I perfectly aligned the timing, tightened the tensioner, so far so good.

Lesson: double the torque spec on the tensioner roller nut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,231 Posts
Yes, the codes should come back if the problem is still there. The codes would be stored unless you cleared them, so scan it 1st before pulling it apart.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the codes should come back if the problem is still there. The codes would be stored unless you cleared them, so scan it 1st before pulling it apart.
I cleared them about 30 miles ago, haven't come back (yet!).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might be fixing to go down the rabbit hole. If I have to re-align the timing belt, then I should probably get rid of the oil leaks by replacing the CCT seals and the valve cover gaskets. And if the seals are chewed up, I should probably drop the oil pan and clean out the leavings. And while I'm underneath, I should probably replace the oil cooler coolant lines. And I could always replace the front suspension, since I bought the kit about a year ago. And........(that's it, the pinch bolts will have me crying "uncle").

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I might be fixing to go down the rabbit hole. If I have to re-align the timing belt, then I should probably get rid of the oil leaks by replacing the CCT seals and the valve cover gaskets. And if the seals are chewed up, I should probably drop the oil pan and clean out the leavings. And while I'm underneath, I should probably replace the oil cooler coolant lines. And I could always replace the front suspension, since I bought the kit about a year ago. And........(that's it, the pinch bolts will have me crying "uncle").
Now that you already know what has to be done, it'll be gravy. ;)
I would do the same. As long as I'm there anyways...

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the timing belt alignment is still good and tight all around. Since I bought new position sensors, I guess I'll replace them while I'm doing the VC gaskets/etc. I just hope that the CCT shoes are intact and still in good shape - I don't want to learn too much this weekend!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had a casualty while removing the driver's side valve cover - broke the "F" shaped breather hose. While I had the section out, I decided to investigate the hockey puck valve. I definitely think I need a new one.

The rubber diaphragm has no flexibility at all - that's not normal is it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts