Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want to get a camera that has basic all around use. For a lot of what I use it for I want it to be a 35mm. I already have two digital cameras so I don't need another one. I basically want to upgrade my old 35mm to a new one. The camera doesn't need to be expensive since it will go everywhere my car/I go, so the possibilty of getting lost or dropped and broke are there.

So far I've picked two. I know there are a few photo gurus on this board so let me know which would be a better all-purpose camera. Or if you know of one that's better than these.

I don't really want to spend over $300 since the posibility of lose or breakage is there.

There may be better prices out there these are just examples.

My choices:

Nikon N55 SLR Camera Body With Sigma 28-80 MACRO AF (f/3.5-5.6) Lens and Sigma 70-300 MACRO AF (f/4.0-5.6) Lens and Strap Kit

$279

http://www.applecamera.com/nikon-n55-sigma-28-80-70-300.html

Canon EOS Rebel TI (EOS 300v) Camera w/Canon 28-90 AutoFocus f/4.0-5.6 Lens and Strap Kit

$293.95

http://www.applecamera.com/caneosrebtic.html

If i was to break $300, I was thinking this combo

Canon EOS Rebel 2000 with Sigma 28-80mm AutoFocus MACRO f/3.5-5.6 and Sigma 70-300mm AutoFocus MACRO f/4.0-5.6 Lens and Strap Kit.

$349.95

http://www.applecamera.com/canreb20w2an.html

TIA

Jason

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
nikon N cameras are toys. junk. buy a used F series, if you can, before even a new N series.

they rust out. they are plastic. they are NOT real nikons!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd find a used Nikon N90s (the older N series, when they were still worth something), 6006, 8008 or something of the like, the F series is a great camera, but... $... I've got a 6006, and its a little slow on the AF, but otherwise its a pretty good setup. Get a good used camera with a couple of lenses and a GOOD speedlight for your 3 bills...
-Brad

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
the n90s was an ok camera. I used one for a while. I still think a used f100 (I use a new f100..) is a great bargain and a decent entry-pro body.

the autofocus is REALLY a big diff when you go from consumer junk to pro nikon.

get an older used (but good condition) f-series nikon. if not, don't bother with nikon - get canon or something else.

fwiw.

·
Registered
829 Posts
linux is right about Nikon durability, and if you're hard on cameras, you should heed his advice.

However, in terms of image formation, the camera body is just a fancy box - the lens does all of the real work. I don't like third party lenses like Sigma, because I think they make too many compromises to be able to work with nearly every mount type out there. If you're going to shoot Nikon, use their lenses, or don't bother spending the extra cash for the Nikon name.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
more than the strength of the box.

the lens mount is not very strong in an N body. with heavy lenses (tele's) you'll BEND the lens mount! yes, really.

the autofocus is in the camera body (for all but the best lenses, where the motor IS in the lens) and with N, you get a weak (slow) motor. that sucks.

the N's can't use manual focus (older, still fine) lenses.

many reasons to avoid the cheap nikon lines. go real or don't go with nikon. you can always find SOME f-body that is in your price range - just go older to find it.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess since I really don't want to buy a used camera, your telling me that the Canon is the better to choose?

Another question is, why the dislike of the Sigma lens? Am I better to purchase the 300mm Canon lens?

As far as the durability, that is really important since I bring my cameras into the woods with me alot.

Thanx for the discussion and info, keep it coming. I don't want to buy a piece of crap.

Jason

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
if you consider durability important, why are you so against a used F series pro body?

you can't beat it! even cannon 'pro' isn't as good as nikon pro.

buy from a camera store, used, with a warranty, if you're leary. but if you care about build quality, nothing in a 35mm can beat a nikon F.

used is fine - just get it checked beforehand and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think the best thing to do is ask you some questions about how and what you shoot:

1) What is your primary subject matter? Secondary?
2) Is most of your shooting outdoors or indoors?
3) How do you view the finished images? By that I mean slides, 3.5X5 prints, 4X6 prints, enlargements, web images...
4) What brand, type and speed film do you use?
5) Do you own any other 35mm lenses now? What brand, mount and focal length? Manual or Auto Focus?

·
Registered
334 Posts
most of the Rebel line from Canon are all plastic. the best one is the Ti. i only use Canon but the N line from Nikon is better then the Rebel line. the F line from Nikon or a higher end Canon ( Elan, EOS 3, EOS 1 ) those are what i would go for. As for lenses get the same brand lense as you do camera. the third party crap is not very good.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Have you considered used midrange Canon EOS bodys? I had an EOS 630 a few years ago and it was a wonderful camera. Perfect exposures everytime, light, easy to use, etc. It didn't have alot of the features that higher end cameras have and certainly couldn't compete with Nikon F bodies, but if you don't need or want all of those features a used midrange might be a good choice. Certainly better than even the newest Rebels.

I agree that the Rebels and some (not all) Nikon N bodies are cheap consumer junk, but for $300 or less it's hard to get anything else. You can pick up used EOS Elan 7's for about $200 body only, the EOS 630 can be found for under $100, or you could look at older Nikon N's like an N8008s.

The N90s is a very good camera, and I would honestly recommend an old manual Nikon body for real creative work, like the F3HP or an FM2n.

For me though, my new object of desire is the new Nikon D70 that was just announced this week. At $1300 with a lens it's a bit pricey, but it's the least expensive Nikon DSLR and has many of the same features as the D100.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I happen to have an F3hp (and motor drive) that I never use. if interested, IM me. note that its not autofocus - but it was a solid auto-exposure camera and a damned fast (and bulletproof) motordrive. HUGE motordrive, though - quite bulky by today's standards. but you don't have to use it (it detaches) if you don't need it.

the last time I used film was maybe 2 yrs ago. that was on my f100 body. since then, I got a d1 digital body and I can use all the same f-mount lenses and I don't really miss film anymore. my film scanner has been idle the last 2 yrs, too.. I bet used D1's can go for cheap today, and its a pretty well built and tough unit.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Preussen said:
I think the best thing to do is ask you some questions about how and what you shoot:

1) What is your primary subject matter? Secondary?Wildlife then sports
2) Is most of your shooting outdoors or indoors?Mostly outdoor, digital for indoor
3) How do you view the finished images? By that I mean slides, 3.5X5 prints, 4X6 prints, enlargements, web images... All....depending on the photos, mostly slides and 4x6/5x7
4) What brand, type and speed film do you use? 400/800 and ocasionally 1600
5) Do you own any other 35mm lenses now? What brand, mount and focal length? Manual or Auto Focus?Canon AE-1 35mm SLR manual w/52mm lens,80-200mm zoom lens,speedlite 177a
So basically it's been a good camera, was a gift at the time. I have dropped it so many times and the it's in pretty tough shape. I keep having recuring problems with the shutter/overexposer.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
linux-works said:
I happen to have an F3hp (and motor drive) that I never use. if interested, IM me. note that its not autofocus - but it was a solid auto-exposure camera and a damned fast (and bulletproof) motordrive. HUGE motordrive, though - quite bulky by today's standards. but you don't have to use it (it detaches) if you don't need it.

the last time I used film was maybe 2 yrs ago. that was on my f100 body. since then, I got a d1 digital body and I can use all the same f-mount lenses and I don't really miss film anymore. my film scanner has been idle the last 2 yrs, too.. I bet used D1's can go for cheap today, and its a pretty well built and tough unit.
So maybe used isn't so bad. I would however like to have auto-focus since a lot of my pics are action shots and I miss a lot of good shots by manually focusing. Is the D1 a Nikon?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
The D1 is a Nikon body, there are two versions, the D1h (2.7 megapixel) and the D1x (5.3 megapixel) They are both selling for $1500~$1800 used, without a lens. They were pretty similar to the Nikon F4 body.

The 6.1 megapixel D70 outfit ($1299) includes a nice 18-70mm F3.5~4.5 IF-ED Nikkor lens. If they make a vertical grip/battery for it it'll be superior to the D1x and I'll be a very happy camper.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25214

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thumber said:
Preussen said:

1) What is your primary subject matter? Secondary?Wildlife then sports
2) Is most of your shooting outdoors or indoors?Mostly outdoor, digital for indoor
3) How do you view the finished images? By that I mean slides, 3.5X5 prints, 4X6 prints, enlargements, web images... All....depending on the photos, mostly slides and 4x6/5x7
4) What brand, type and speed film do you use? 400/800 and ocasionally 1600
5) Do you own any other 35mm lenses now? What brand, mount and focal length? Manual or Auto Focus?Canon AE-1 35mm SLR manual w/52mm lens,80-200mm zoom lens,speedlite 177a
Cool, thanks. Based on your responses, I would make a fast auto focus system your first priority within your price range. Everything else can fall as it may, because you'll have to make compromises - even with pricier systems.

For example, I am a slow film, high-res optics nut, and shoot Hasselblad, Contax and Leica with Zeiss and Leitz lenses. Since those cameras are all about glass, I can live with their other weaknesses.

Used equipment is a smart option, but have it thoroughly checked, becuase aside from the obvious telltale signs of rough handling, there are hidden gotcha's to be aware of that require a trained eye to discover - like fungus inside lenses.

I wish I could make specific recommendations for your needs, but I'm just not current with that end of the market. Some of the buying guides published by camera and consumer pubs have some useful info - and something as cut and dry as a fast , responsive auto focus system should be readily apparent and noted by a good reviewer.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I have the actual d1 (not x or h). you can get them a lot cheaper since it't not even current anymore.

the downside is that it sucks for battery life. the plugin batts last a year, tops. and they are too small. I got an external battery (quantum brand) and that thing will last a whole wedding's amount, including high voltage flash (it has low voltage for the camera and high for the flash). but you then carry a side pack (battery) and wires wherever you go.

the d1 does take microdrives but solid state flash makes more sense to me.

the d1 also needs a special flash unit (strobe) to do accurate metering. no big deal - most need their own kind of flash made for them. (light flash, not ram flash).

the d1 can shoot at least 4 frames/sec into a ram buffer and fill it up after 20 or so shots. then it slowly empties that into the user flash card. most consumer cameras have MAJOR shutter lag. the d1 (and better) do not. that's a big plus.

shutter lag is a big deal. but if you get an slr that is digital, be sure it 'acts' like a film body in terms of lag and autofocus speed.

for me, I can't tell the d1 from a film body, just by using it. in fact, it looks and acts almost like my f100, most of the knobs are in the same locations, too!

hth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts