Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2.8 4motion, '01 GLS, 160,000k

Cam seals and valve cover gasket

Took the car into the dealership for the heat-shield recall. They noted I had an oil leak out of the cam seals and valve cover, last time I went in they wanted $260 to diagnose the source...

Watched the videos on youtube and read the forums, cam seals and valve cover gasket replacement doesn't seem too hard.

It's dark now, but tomorrow morning I'm going to remove the plastic covers just to inspect about before ordering parts:

1. While I am in the area, should I replace the cam tensioner gasket? Or is it a case of if it's isn't broke, don't fix it.
  2. I think I'm going replace PCV/breather hose, is there anything else recommended too?
  3. Is there anything specific I should keep an eye out for when checking the engine out?

Lifting the car

Next on the agenda and something I've been wanting todo for a while is lift the car. I live in rural Maine, and put this way the roads are not in the best conditions. So hoping to get an extra inch, maybe if I'm lucky an inch and a half.

I hope PZ chimes in on this, as searching the forums it seems like they are very knowledgeable about this.

So I *think* I have three options based on my research, perch plates, 1BB springs, and then some shocks and coil-overs.

Based on the fact I have limited cash - the new shocks and coil-overs are going to be out of the question.

What are the advantages/disadvantages in using perch plates?

I've searched for 1BB springs, and I couldn't seem to find any... also using a "PR-1BB" as a search. My mum lives in the UK and coming over to visit me soon, so there is a possibility she could buy them in Europe. Again if reasonably priced, is there a specific part number I should be searching for?

Or any other ideas?

EDIT 2:

I've spent this afternoon doing little else but researching coil risers.

Springspacer Höherlegungskit VA+HA Audi A4 B5 4WD +20/20mm Front Nr.: 68530086: Rear Nr.: 68530128 COST + Postage = $228

I'm assuming something like this will also work 1 inch Lift Kit for MK-IV Chassis COS = $250

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
I would expect the cam caps are leaking but not the cam seals (although it is possible). The PCV and Suction Jet are usually replaced at the same time unless they are fairly new. Then they can be cleaned and re-used. I would replace the CCT seals and possibly the CCT pads if the car has not had synthetic oil all of it's life. 160K of dino oil would leave deep grooves in the pads. If you are interested, I have 4 new CCT pads (I have to confirm fitment) and a used PCV setup (probably 8K on it) from my old motor. I can check exact age/mileage this weekend.

Stacking perch plates would be the cheapest way to raise the front of the car on a permanent basis. The 2nd would be to buy a set of stock springs from an C5 A6 or S6 wagon. I think I have posted before about stacking perch plates in the front and they raise the car roughly 1".

I do not know how much the A6 or S6 springs would raise the car, but the A6/S6 is 400-600lbs heavier than a Passat, so it should be over an inch based on the difference that V6 springs make on a 1.8T car. The problem with experimenting like this is that you might have to do the work again if the height is more or less than you wanted. That is why I went with coil-over sleeves. I can adjust as needed.

If you need more info, let me know. I will be swamped with work the next week, but can try to look check the rear suspension a bit more after that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am interested, thanks very much. Take your time - send me a PM when you get round to it. I thinking engine and gasket work will be an August job. July's is... painting it.

Yeah you have posted about it before, thats where I saw it first. I wasn't sure if perch plates would have some disadvantages (camber...), but if they are fine great. Saying that, I did mention to wife about the adjustable coil-overs, to my surprise she seemed quite receptive to the idea "that'll be handy" were her exact words even after saying it would be about $1k.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
The adjustables are really to set the height to the setting you want one time. In theory, you could raise and lower the car for winter, but it would require an alignment each time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody know the weight distribution of the 4motion wagon, i'm looking at some A6 six springs and I'd like to get some from a car with a similar profile.

My google fu is not coming up with anything.

Edit: Weight distribution 56.50 % front.

Would the springs from a 4.2 Quattro be too much of a difference? It's 60/40. However the the car weighs 4000lbs so probs some nice lift.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
From what I have heard, the 4.2 engine is not any heavier than the 2.7T (some say it is much less). If it's a 4.2 wagon, it might work. The sedan springs may not compensate for the extra weight of the wagon. I thought the A6 was closer to 4200lbs.

The spring spacers would not work on the 4MO as the spring is mounted on the shock, not the body/frame. A disc with a cut center would work better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I have heard, the 4.2 engine is not any heavier than the 2.7T (some say it is much less). If it's a 4.2 wagon, it might work. The sedan springs may not compensate for the extra weight of the wagon. I thought the A6 was closer to 4200lbs.
I was going by the the spec sheets from audiword...

2001 Audi A6

The spring spacers would not work on the 4MO as the spring is mounted on the shock, not the body/frame. A disc with a cut center would work better.
I believe that would be the Höherlegungskit then. But I don't want to pay $228. Maybe a 4 or 3 inch cast iron bushing might do.

inaltatoare-arcuri-volkswagen-inaltatoare-st-pt-15fe519cf45f018686-420-315-2-95-1.jpg

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
That looks better, but it is pricy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know way pricey :( And based on what they look like they shouldn't be too hard to fabricate (says this now...).

I do know friend of a friend who owns a VW dealership in the UK, I'm getting him to see how much some 1BB springs at cost, might be cheaper. And my mum is coming over in a month so free postage :)

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Still finishing up a trans swap, I hope to be done this week. If you are still interested, I'll let you know about the PCV once I get this car out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah please, Bentley manual arrived today. Take your time won't have money till next payday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also transmission wise maybe you might have an idea, the wife notices usually first thing in the morning after a cold start it RPM will increase however first gear will not engage fully, car needs to be stopped, but into neutral and then back into drive for it to engage fully.

I'm going to hook up the VAG com when I'm back at home.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
As in it starts in 2nd gear or does not move at all? Either one is odd, but not moving is worse. Could it be a problem with the gearshift or is it trans related? The gearshift may be something as simple as adjusting the linkage on the side of the trans (where the cable mounts).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As in it starts in 2nd gear or does not move at all? Either one is odd, but not moving is worse. Could it be a problem with the gearshift or is it trans related? The gearshift may be something as simple as adjusting the linkage on the side of the trans (where the cable mounts).
We've only noticed it on the first start day. Never done it once it's been started could be incidental tho. Happens once a week maybe?

It starts, and moves but when accelerating has little power. Revs increase but no increase in speed.

Given a little gas sometimes it shifts the gear over, sometimes it doesn't and need to pull over park and back into drive... good as golden.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Double check that the gear indicators are not all lit up when this happens. Have there been any water intrusion issues?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Double check that the gear indicators are not all lit up when this happens. Have there been any water intrusion issues?
No they don't - just displays drive.

And no obvious water intrusion. Although the mother in law may have split and drink but always got to it pretty quick.

If it's a TCM we have a GLX we are thinking of parting. So maybe a swap and WD40 wiring?

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Have you run a full scan on the trans yet? It sounds like limp mode, but that usually requires a re-start to try to clear it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ran from a cold start, Nothing trans related I think. Just the cat and vacuum.

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,47,55,56,57,58,75,76,77

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 3B0 907 551 BA
Component: 2.8L V6/5V G 0003
Coding: 07251
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 63B92C8FE24D
4 Faults Found:
16805 - Warm Up Catalyst; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold
P0421 - 35-00 - -
16826 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0442 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17831 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1423 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17819 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2: Insufficient Flow
P1411 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.LBL
Controller: 8D0 927 156 AT
Component: AG5 01V 2.8l5V USA 3132
Coding: 00102
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 7F7180FF6EE5
No fault code found.

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-111-ABS.LBL
Controller: 8E0 614 111 A
Component: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D10
Coding: 0273004284
Shop #: BB 24334
VCID: 1C4B57739FB3
No fault code found.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
I don't know if a generic vagcom can read the trans properly or not. The codes you have should not affect the trans. You may need to catch it when it happens and see if a code comes up.

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
That scan looks like it was done with VCDS-Lite which will correctly read the transmission codes, and all other DTCs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts