Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have my cam CHAIN and Chain tensioner replaced so I asked if they are taking out the cams anyway could they also replace the cam bearings too. They told me there are no cam bearings and that if there is a problem to replace the head. :crazy: Is this correct? Are there no cam bearings? Help?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The cams run in a 'bearing journal'... it's part of the head (machined-in feature). It's not a ball-bearing if that's what you are thinking. The cams float on a layer of oil in the journal.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Why do you need to replace chain? I ask because of noises I hear sometimes, thats all.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pass-variant

No they are not BALLa they are usually a different type of mettal like tin and steel. They are just called bearings they are supposed to be replacable. In every engine I have ever rebuilt from a Ford 260cid to a Brigs and Straton 3.5hp they ALL have bearings. On the crank and the cam. The tech told me they are not replacable and I have never heard theat before.

jaycevs

The tensioner has a piece of plastic on it for the chaon to run across. When you get a lot of mile on your car it will ware and cuse the plastic to strip away causing clogs in the oil pump and other systems. If I replace the tensioner why not the chain too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts