Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I am working on the pax side bank. I managed to remove all cam caps and the camshafts, but the T30 fastener on cap 7 is going to be impossible to torque back down properly due to the proximity to the body metal. I just about ruined the bolt extracting. The gap is too small for a T30 bit and a standard 1/4" socket wrench. Using a 1/4" elbow adapter, I was barely able to keep the bit straight.

Any suggestions on the proper tool for reinstallation?
(in the picture, it's the bolt that is almost stripped out in the back)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought about deleting this thread since it was basically admitting my lack of knowledge with tools, but I found a solution and wanted to share for anyone else who may ask this question... stripping the threads on these bolts is NOT fun and the replacements are $10 @ local VW + 3 day wait.

Harbor Freight Right Angle Screwdriver #92630
8 Piece Right Angle Screwdriver

Screwdriver Torx bits - Harbor Freight has a set #35187 for about $3.

Just enough space to use this to tighten... as far as your torque accuracy -- experiment on a more accessible bolt with a torque wrench to 7 ft lb until you can do it by hand relatively accurately.

I stripped a second bolt -- for future reference, part # appears to be WHT002015 and I got 5 shipped overnight Fedex for $40.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I thought about deleting this thread since it was basically admitting my lack of knowledge with tools, but I found a solution and wanted to share for anyone else who may ask this question... stripping the threads on these bolts is NOT fun and the replacements are $10 @ local VW + 3 day wait.

Harbor Freight Right Angle Screwdriver #92630
8 Piece Right Angle Screwdriver
I don't see anything wrong with admitting your lack of knowledge with 'some' tools. That's what this forum is about. Asking and supplying and offering the tips, tricks and trades of DIY mechanics.

Good job on finding a solution.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with admitting your lack of knowledge with 'some' tools. That's what this forum is about. Asking and supplying and offering the tips, tricks and trades of DIY mechanics.

Good job on finding a solution.
X2. chrisificti0n, your post WILL one day save someone else a big headache if/when they search.

·
Registered
26,516 Posts
I have one of those HF tools and that is the main thing I use it for.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Could also try 1stvwparts for the cam cap bolts. Its where i got mine. Came out to about .75 cents a piece if i recall. Although in your case it the total cost you quoted was probably mostly the overnight shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts