Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was return home from work when a jam started to create on the highway.
I saw a lot of smoke right ahead and i remember thinking; not another VW on fire.
When i arrived near the fire, what do you think i saw?

Yes a VW....A 2002+ Beetle.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think there were more than 2:

Still fighting with VWoA about this. So far their only offer (dealership was proven to have caused it, and they reimbursed the insurance co. through subrogation) was a coupon for a free oil change.

Not sure what car they expected me to use that on, but the fine print said that if I use it, I release them from any liabilty. All I asked for was my $2000 back that I spent on the car right before this happened.

Mark

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I hate it as well. Every car can catch fire, that is just a given.

When the fire department was doing their cleanup on this one, they informed me that they automatically start a criminal investigation on newer cars that catch fire.

He said I was not automatically in trouble or anything (I was a bit put out at first when he said that, understandably so), it was that once fuel injection came along, car fires dropped by 85%, as there were are few open carburetors that could boil over or catch fire anymore.
And with modern automotive wiring being so much better insulated and "tidy" (his word, not mine), electrical fires are almost unheard of. He said most electrical fires they see now are either from kids installing huge sound systems that the car is not designed to handle, or after serious accidents that damage alernators or batteries.

Not fitting those criteria, he then he asked if the car had any fuel or electrical service done. I told them I had just had $2k in timing belts and electrical work done, so they quickly went off in that direction, which proved to be the cause.

Since they determined that the dealership had done damage by opening up wiring harnesses, that was where they went with it.

You can see the hotspot where it started, in the harness between the ECU and the block. It runs (ran) under the coolant tank, which upon disgorging(sp) it's contents did nothing to help the situation. He indicated that the white areas are where the fire was concentrated, and that once wiring starts to burn, it is almost as hot as fuel. But that area is where it was the hottest and burned for the longest time.

I guess it all depends. Doing electronic work as I have, it is not hard to imagine something going wrong and burning up, but you are still suprised when it happens.

Mark

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
Jason (Thumber) lost his car to fire as well. Neighborhood people threw a beer bottle in the car filled with gas iirc, exploded, and "tinted the inside of the windows" to say the least.

Always bad to see another VW lost to fire.
:cry: :mad: :cry: :mad: :cry:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thumber said:
Scuba2001 said:
Jason (Thumber) lost his car to fire as well. Neighborhood people threw a beer bottle in the car filled with gas iirc, exploded, and "tinted the inside of the windows" to say the least.

What was the legal fall out of this act of stupidity?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
RAWERW said:
Thumber said:
Scuba2001 said:

What was the legal fall out of this act of stupidity?
Not sure what you mean. But if you mean, did anyone ever get arrested for it? Then no!! :mad: I live in a small town and the police are slow as they get. They took hardly any evidence or pics the afternoon I reported it and said they'd be back to do more the next day. Well..it rained about 3" that night!! So any evidence was washed away, like foot-prints to determine shoe type and size..things like that.

I fought the ins co for 4mo and finally settled after taking it to the ins commisioner. They settled for $100 less than what I had told them in the beginning was fair market value. So they basically wasted my time.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Scuba2001 said:

WTF!!! I didn't know that !!! About the Beer Bottle being thrown...........*insert choice words* :mad:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
What can I say, some people lack the maturity to go out in public and not make fools of themselves. I have my suspicions but no proof.. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts