Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a silverstone gray passat that has painted their calipers? I'm looking for some pics so that I can decide what color to paint mine. Also, any suggestions on what kit to buy? Links are always appreciated. Thanks! :lol:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I used the Plasti-Kote Caliper paint ($8.00) .. others use the 2 part systems. (?$) Do a search .. there was just some recent postings.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I think you should go silver.
I respectfully disagree. No one will be able to tell that you did anything with silver calipers, thus a waste of time. I have a colorado red and was going to paint them silver, but now I think I am going to do blue, since it is noticable.

I would suggest blue or red. Hope you can get some pics.

·
Registered
745 Posts
veedubyo said:
He's asking for pictures of cars with painted calipers. Not asking advise on what to get. He can't decide on color.

Wrong! he also said:
"Also, any suggestions on what kit to buy?"
I havent painted my callipers yet but since everyone recomends the G2 calliper paint kit i think thats wat i am gonna get! I also suggest (and will paint mine) silver!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
r3awak3n said:
veedubyo said:
He's asking for pictures of cars with painted calipers. Not asking advise on what to get. He can't decide on color.

Wrong! he also said:
I havent painted my callipers yet but since everyone recomends the G2 calliper paint kit i think thats wat i am gonna get! I also suggest (and will paint mine) silver!
They are already silver so whats the point really. Also heard people saying that the silver is more gray not very nice looking.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I've had red, blue and now silver. The red stands out. Blue does not. Silver stands out most as it is a light color in a shadowed area, but not like yellow would.

See the difference in the "wheel on" and "wheel off" pics. The blue definitely gets lost in the shadows more.

Scott

·
Registered
745 Posts
Warped said:
r3awak3n said:
veedubyo said:

Wrong! he also said:
They are already silver so whats the point really. Also heard people saying that the silver is more gray not very nice looking.
but i only would put red if i got porshe callipers (i mean thats where the red comes from u know), blue gets lost and there is no blue in the car, black you wont even see it so silver is the other option (this on a satin silver)!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
There are pros and cons to think about with G2 and say Plasti-Kote

1) G2 $38 .. Plasti-Kote $8

2) G2 temp limit 950 F .. Plastikote 900 F

3) G2 working time .. 4-6 hours Plasti-Kote .. no limit.

4) G2 Can't re install wheels for 2 hours .. means on 4 jack stands .. Plasti-Kote .. install 15 min after last coat.

5) G2 Do not drive vehicle for 24 hours .. Plastic-Kote .. drive in less than an hour.

6) G2 repells brake dust .. Plasti-Kote repells brake dust.

7) G2 lasts ? .. Plasti-kote lasts 2 years so far in a harsh environment needing a couple rock chip touchups after winter.

8) G2 comes in 9 colors .. Plasti cote .. 4 colors.

9) G2 shelf life of 6 months .. Plasti-Kote .. no shelf life .

10 ) G2 very limited application temp range ( 56-70°F ) .. Higher temps reduce working time.

So to me if you have the money , time , sufficient jack stands and can
do without the car for a day *after* you have finished G2 is probably the way to go. But if you only have one jack and have to leave the wheel off for 2 hours you may run out of working time etc.. or you can't tie the car up for 2 days you might think about the other. Withthe other you can also do the fronts one weekend .. rears the next.

Lots of options..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.