Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some lead-in info

I went out this afternoon to do my front brakes and swap wheels over to the 17s. Ha! :mad:

I got the caliper off no problem. I am pleased to report that the mintex pads marked for a Vauxhall Vectra 96- are the correct pads for a B5 Passat if you don't care about sensors. I don't.

Then came time for the caliper carrier. Not happening. 90 ft-lbs of torque, my butt! I am going out tonight for a big breaker bar. Of course it won't be nearly as nice out tomorrow and likely will be snowing and I am just frustrated as hell at not being strong enough to get these stupid bolts loose.

And to add insult to injury, the little door on the black trim for the jackpoint fell off.

:mad: :cry: :mad:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Kathy, I thought you had jack pads underneath? :sad:

I don't look forward to removing my wheels to clean them after trying to put my spare on only to find the wheels and lugs rusted. :( Shame on my for not rotating more frequently.

Good luck! Have you tried soaking them in W40 without damaging anything related to the braking system?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am now in possession of a 15" long 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" 17mm socket. I will attack them tomorrow after we work on the yard a bit.

Yes, Rob, I have jackpads, but I put a jackstand under the car for potentially long jobs and that is best done in the frame rail position. I have a bit of wood that supports the rail nicely. I haven't though of shoving the stand under the car. Where to put it? Next to the jackpad?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Ahh.. The OEM jack point makes sense for the jackstand. As for the shoving it under the car.... The only thing I could think of is jack it with the floor jack at the OEM point and place the jackstand on the pad. :?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I hate doing brakes, so I really feel for ya. I have to do front and rear soon and I'm not looking forward to it. Good luck tomorrow.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
atomicalex said:
Well, I am now in possession of a 15" long 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" 17mm socket. I will attack them tomorrow after we work on the yard a bit.
i have a 24" breaker bar, and it's perfect for just about anything i do on the car (as long as there's enough room). makes it very easy to take off the lug bolts. the only thing it didn't work on was on the lug bolts on one of my wheels. the moron who did it torqued it down to way over the recommended 90 ft-lb. :mad: i even tried to jump up and down on the lug-bolt remover that came with the car, and it didn't come off. i ended up getting a 4-5' bar and slipped it over the lug-bolt remover and it finally came off.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I put the Summer tires/wheels on last weekend.

I've been looking forward to doing my brake upgrade (A8 rotors up front, new rotors in back, and Mintex Blue pads all around), but still need to buy a 16" tire and have it mounted on my new spare.

Now I have something to look forward to! :nervous:

At least I already have a breaker bar and strong arms :p (from all the times I carry my kids!). With my luck the bolts will break off when I try to remove the old caliper carriers! :nervous:

Maybe in a week or two when all the hubbaballoo about this snow blows over.

·
Registered
991 Posts
When I was installing my Porsche calipers, I had to take those bolts off too. I used an impact wrench to do the job. With the wheel turned to full lock, there is enough room in the wheel well to fit my regular full size impact wrench (air tool) with a deep socket impact socket. The bolts came flying off with no problem. I know I know, not everyone has air tool. But, it is one of the best things that I have ever bought for my car repair tools.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
On my last car, a 95 Jetta, the carriers would not come off, I broke a craftsman rachet on those things, but no luck. The problem was that the bolt on those went all the way thru, then was exposed a little bit on the other side. I ended up having to buy some mapp gas and oxygen, and put alot of heat on those things. Some things never change.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have a torch. I don't like using that way, but I have it. Welding equipment is proof God loves us and wants us to get stuff done. ;)

Beer will come later.

ywang - I will see what i can do about full lock. I got the short bar because I was worried about fitting in there. Sometimes I am not the brightest bulb on the chandelier.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having fits with it. Good luck!

As for jack pads, one way to use the frame rails as intended for lifting, without damage to the car are these jackpads from JCWhitney.

They fit over the saddle and are really strong, I have learned. When I use them, I lower the car enough that some of it's weight is on the jack, some on the stand.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
FastLane said:

As for jack pads, one way to use the frame rails as intended for lifting, without damage to the car are these jackpads from JCWhitney.

They fit over the saddle and are really strong, I have learned. When I use them, I lower the car enough that some of it's weight is on the jack, some on the stand.
Anybody want to buy a bunch of these? they cost $7 and they charge $8 for shipping!

·
Registered
107 Posts
not_too_shabby said:
FastLane said:

Anybody want to buy a bunch of these? they cost $7 and they charge $8 for shipping!
I'd be in for 2

John

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
craftsman standard box wrench and a hammer always work for me, although it makes one hell of a racket. :shock:

another solution is the same box wrench wedged against a jackstand, then lower the car (jackstand forces the wrench to turn as the car lowers) :eek:

·
Registered
541 Posts
AA- If you still haven't got them off, call me up. I can stop by today if you want. :lol: BTW, you sure that's not an 18MM bolt? They changed them to be 18MM somewhere in 2000. BTW, they are also one use bolts, but I've reused them a couple times.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ywang - I will see what i can do about full lock. I got the short bar because I was worried about fitting in there. Sometimes I am not the brightest bulb on the chandelier.
You should be able to fit a long bar in there with full lock. I had to tighten the new bolts to 90 lb-ft with a large torque wrench. It cleared.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Or just get your husband in there to bust 'em loose. Seriously, I didn't think they were that bad using a 1/2" ratchet and socket and that's coming from a car that's lived in the land of salted winter highways. The 1/2" ratchet provided just enough weight to break them free. Good luck. 8)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts