Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had success with aftermarket replacement cats in a California car? Walker lists a CARB approved model but I have not found reports of successful installations.

Any real world experience? The car is a 2001 GLX V6 manual transmission.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Earlier this year I had one of two cats changed on my '96 A4, and I believe that it was a Walker California-complient unit, from AutoZone. I passed smog just last month, but was right on the edge for hydrocarbon: 15 mph- measured 56, limit 56. 25 mph- measured 28, limit 40. CO and NO were both well under the requirements. The engine (and one original cat) had 235,000 when the test was done, so maybe it would have been worse with both old cats. In any event I don't have any catalyst efficiency codes or any other codes for that matter. My pre-cat O2 sensors are universal Bosch units, so maybe they are not as responsive as a new set of OEM sensors would be.

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
If I recall correctly from dealing with my mothers car a few years ago, current CA law requires not only California approved CATs, but that they be installed by a certified shop. Why not call around and see what shops are installing near you?

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
You are probably correct, however in California there is always going to be some law against just about anything. I took my car and new cat converter to a guy who does welding/fabrication in his garage, right next to all his motocross bikes and the roll cages he makes. No fuss, and the Cali behavior patrol doesn't know a thing about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts