Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is old but i just foudn it

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/info/concept/cadillac16/overview.html

The Cadillac Sixteen is rear-wheel drive powered by an all-aluminum 13.6-liter engine. It includes technology such as Displacement on Demand, which allows the engine to run on four, eight or sixteen cylinders depending on driving conditions. Other advancements include:

7,000 rpm capability
1,000 horsepower and 1,000 lbs.-ft. of torque
Advanced cylinder head port design
Titanium alloy valves and valve springs
Variable camshaft phasing

Not a fan of Cadillac but :bow:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Doubt V16 will ever hit the streets. They are having problems putting down 1000hp with so much stress on a such a long crankshaft.
I thought it used a center PTO for that problem?

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Even if it does hit the streets they said it would have an extimated msrp at $2,000,000 so who know how many they would sell.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
They'll probably pre-sell as many as they decide to build (which will no doubt be under 500) no matter what the price is. Price is irrelevant for cars like these.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Power Take Off.

Usually a term for old tractors, but it was the easiest term I could come up with at the time.

I think there were several older V12 and V16 air and marine engines that used a center PTO because of crank wind-up; take it from the middle and you've sort of halved the length of the crank. At least halved the longest distance rotational force from a piston rod has to travel to go to the transmission or wherever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AFAIK, the Cadillac Sixteen is a concept car only and there are no plans to put it into production. Some of the technology, like Displacement On Demand, will trickle down into production models, though. :D

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Displacement-on-demand made it's debut almost 25 years ago on 1980 DeVille's equipped with 'V-8-6-4'. It was a disaster. GM should make it run on hydrogen and skip nods to fuel economy.

I like the Chrysler 'Hemi' concept car, too. Let's hear it for honkin' RWD cars!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Honk, honk :thumbup:

But seriously, engine computers are advanced enough now to conquer all the issues of displacement on demand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts