Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to move my existing cable modem (road runner) do I need anything special or will regular coax cable work? TIA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you mean from one room to another then
no most cable modems accept the incoming transmission from standard coaxial cable.

if you mean to another house, the modem may need to be reset or possibly may not even work if the wiring isnt done yet (or correctly), the isp people do this.

also dont forget you may need more cat5 wiring if you are moving the modem further from the destination (assuming you arent on wireless).

jayme

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the lack of info.

just moving from a second floor install to a first floor install. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Standard coax is fine. However, isn't the internet line filtered vs. tv line unfiltered? Or vice versa. Any way, that one internet line is unique to your tv line(s) throughout the rest of the house. I'm afraid you'll have to extend that same line from that room or add/remove the filtering to the tv line in the new room to have it work with the internet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have dish network for TV, only use cable for internet-so i guess i should not have to worry about that.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
shummer said:
However, isn't the internet line filtered vs. tv line unfiltered? Or vice versa. Any way, that one internet line is unique to your tv line(s) throughout the rest of the house. I'm afraid you'll have to extend that same line from that room or add/remove the filtering to the tv line in the new room to have it work with the internet.
It doesn't matter what line its hooked up to. Where you may run into a prob is the loss of signal - a TV will work fine, but the modem may drop out.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
you mean you can also split this cable modem line into your cable-ready TV and get free basic analog cable...even without paying for cable TV. WOW.. I never heard of that! :lol: Split this cable inside your house, garage, attic,etc.. not outside where the cable company can see it. Since this is an analog signal its just a broadcast, so pick it up.. just like picking up a radio station.

OH, make sure you use a splitter that is made for Cable and not Satellite TV. I made that mistake and it kept dropping my internet connection.

Have fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts