Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple threads talking about this but wanted to get more comments/info...

I just moved out to a new house that now makes my commute ~70 mi. round trip. I'm doing everything I can to make the car as efficient as I can and wondered about installing a bypass filtration system to reduce the number of oil changes. A lot of the diesel guys and big rig trucks run these setups. It would allow me to go longer between oil changes, but I'm still under warranty and am aware of the higher engine temps. of the 1.8T, so I have the time to do the research and make a decision. As soon as I'm off of warranty, I'd like to consider an install.

So does anyone have this type of system set up or have heard of someone using on a 1.8T? Any issues? I already run the big filter with 5000 mi. OCIs running VW 502.00 oil, but I'd like to make that longer (~10k mi. OCIs).

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Given that you have an 8yr sludge warranty, your warranty doesn't expire til 2012. :)
I don't think I'd want to extend the OCI on the 1.8T just sounds increadibly risky.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given that you have an 8yr sludge warranty, your warranty doesn't expire til 2012. :)
I don't think I'd want to extend the OCI on the 1.8T just sounds increadibly risky.
I looked into this and believe I am exempt from the extended warranty VW put out regarding sludge. My car was made just after the cutoff. I have no information to believe otherwise.

·
Registered
605 Posts

I had a bypass oil filter on my 1.8t. It brought the capacity to just under 6 quarts. I would have no fear of running an extended drain interval if you are running mostly on the highway and using a quality synthetic oil. I didn't get much use out of bypass, however, because shortly after I installed it I opted to go a different direction entirely and put a tdi in the passat. The bypass is going on the tdi when I get to that point though.

If you have any question regarding the installation of the filter let me know.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
I just moved out to a new house that now makes my commute ~70 mi. round trip. ... I already run the big filter with 5000 mi. OCIs running VW 502.00 oil, but I'd like to make that longer (~10k mi. OCIs). ...
Assuming most of your daily commute is on open roads, I would not hesitate to stretch your OCI immediately by 50%, to 7500 mi / 12k km. My OCI is less than half that, but my wife does lots of city driving, which is MUCH tougher on the car and the oil, per mile traveled.

Another option: Install a new filter every 10k mi or 15k km or so. About 60% of the way through the OCI, siphon out the oil (in practice, about 75% of it) and refill, without changing the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts