Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my BV/DV is shot, I am going to get another new one (this will be my 4th one in the last 2 years!). I am chipped.

Back in the summer of 2002 I bought from the local Audi dealer the 058 145 710 N which is touted as being able to handle more boost etc etc etc. It was much better than the old stock one (then again the old stock one was shot).

So come this summer I notice my car suckin, so I run up to the VW dealer, pick up a 058 145 710 and it is shot already. I still have the old 710 N in the garage.

I called the VW dealer because I recall last year or late 2002 someone mentioning something about the DVs being the same across the board now with VW and Audi.

I called the VW dealer, they gave me 058 145 710 as a part number. I called an Audi dealer and they gave me the same part number. I asked the parts guy ( I know, futility) about the difference and he says there is none. He says there is no N on the Audi BV/DV and that VW and Audi are now using the same one.

I asked him if in the past they were different, like within the last 2 years and he said it is very well possible.

So what this leads me to believe is this, why wouldn't they be the same? Why would VW and Audi source two different BVs for their vehicles?

I am trying to research this some more, and yes, though I used to be very "you don't need an aftermarket DV," I can tell you, I have changed.

You guys and gals got any insight into this?

TIA,

Jay

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes, inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not sure, but from I have read here, all OEM DV's are plastic, and most aftermarket ones are big metal ones. Much more durable and can probably handle tons more boost. I'd look into getting one if you're blowing that many DV's. If you wanna make your car annoying and loud, you could get a blow-off valve :lol:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kiyoshi said:
Not sure, but from I have read here, all OEM DV's are plastic, and most aftermarket ones are big metal ones. Much more durable and can probably handle tons more boost. I'd look into getting one if you're blowing that many DV's. If you wanna make your car annoying and loud, you could get a blow-off valve :lol:

I am well versed in the aftermarket/ stock debate, that is not what this thread is about, or about performance, there are enough threads on those. This is more about education, and understanding which parts are which so that peeple aren't A. Spending too much money and B. Spinning there wheels looking for a part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts