Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The salesman at my dealership said they didn't have any W8's on the lot because no one was buying W8. The reason he gave was engine problems. please say it ain't so. :sad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't heard anything. There are a bunch of W8 owners on here and I have yet to hear a complaint from them. My take on the slow sales of the W8 is that they are expensive and no one really knows what they are.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought a W8 and had it for about 3 weeks with no problems. The only thing I hate is the technotronic Thunk everyone is talking about on all models. I was seaching for a while on different Passats from v6 with and without 4mo to the W8. Hell, I was even looking at other type of cars. Come to find out that sales people were not honest ( :eek: ) Hell, when I was looking at a car, they asked what other cars was I intrested in, well i said a W8, then they start to say "My buddy had one and wreck it cuz of the 4 mo and its a gas guzzler".
Hell, I was even a VW lot and told me that you don't want a W8, they are hard to find and cost alot, + gas milage sucks. Here why don't you look at this v6 4mo.

Sales will tell you anything just to get a sell out of ya. Remember if they sell, they make money. :poke:

·
Registered
245 Posts
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/longterm/

Check out the above link. I have had my W8 for 10 months and it has been pretty much perfect :thumbup: I run this car very hard and push it to its limits everytime I drive it. Long runs (20-30 minutes)on the Autobahn with the cruise set at the governor and and pounding it through S curves on back roads. The car takes everything I dish out and asks for more :D

I have only had one glitch with my W8. The auto temp control for the AC went full hot and would not respond. It reset itself the next time the car was started. Of course it was fine for the dealer and showed no codes.

If that dealer doesnt want to sell you a W8 ... find another. He is obviously not a automotive enthusiast and needs to start selling walkers to old people(the ones that have 4 wheels and a brake)

To answer your post, I have had NO ENGINE problems. I have read no posts about it either.

Go order yours today... You won't regret it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
From all the threads and reasearch I've read it looks as though the W8 last year of existance at least in the US is going to 2004. :(

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
leesure said:
The salesman at my dealership said they didn't have any W8's on the lot because no one was buying W8. The reason he gave was engine problems. please say it ain't so. :sad:
What salesman at what dealership told you that??

Not many people were willing to shell out 40K for a Passat, and the success of Audi's 4 engine platform A4/A6's wasn't a good match for the VW. Volkswagen should reconsider their concept of a Sport Edition Passat to their product matrix. Imagine an AWD Passat with more HP and features only available in the Sport Edition. (better seats, larger stock wheels, CD/MP3/Satellite Radio, exterior colors, lower stance) That would sell like hotcakes in the U.S. but it would take sales away from Audi.

I think 04.5 will be the last offering of the W8 because I've heard rumors about a VR8 engine being developed for the B6 Passats. Maybe 2006??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remember ... the salesman does not want you to go elsewhere looking for a W8 ... he wants to sell you what HE has. Take it with a grain of salt :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like your salesman is a jerk. There's a shocker :shock: He wants to sell you something from inventory. If you want to have a little fun, ask to talk to the sales manager and tell him that this guy told you that the W8 has engine problems, and that you were thinking about buying one, but now you're going to look at other brands (not other Passats!). Watch as he fires the salesman :lol: Now THAT's my idea of fun! Some dickhead with a new plaid sportcoat and no job to wear it to!

I have had my W8 for 4 months and 8,000 miles (long commute). I have not had so much as a glitch or hickup. It runs beautifully.. very smooth and quiet and tons of power. Gas mileage is not so bad if you don't drive like a maniac. I have also heard that '04 is the last year in the US for the W8. Personally, I think it will help keep the value up for ours come trade-in time. Econ 101.

If you do decide on a W8, enjoy it! It is a fine automobile.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Perkeo said:
Remember ... the salesman does not want you to go elsewhere looking for a W8 ... he wants to sell you what HE has. Take it with a grain of salt :wink:
This is exactly what the salesman was doing. He was trying to sell you what his dealership had and didn't want you to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
All engines have problems. The question is whether there are close to 4 million of yours on the road (1.8T) or only <5 (?) thousand (W8). Since in the US they can't even change the oil of the 4 million unit car right....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i have had my w8 for 2 years now. 18500 miles with no engine problems. I had an ad control module, the normal coil pack recal and a brake light switch replaced. nothing with the engine. just chipped it, and love it :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
i have had my w8 for 2 years now. 18500 miles with no engine problems. I had an ad control module, the normal coil pack recal and a brake light switch replaced. nothing with the engine. just chipped it, and love it :thumbup:
you chipped a W8? i didn't think many after-market things were available for it. i'm looking for performance upgrades for my 03 w8 and looking at options.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have the wett chip, go to www.chip-tuning.com Kelly is the person to speak too, [email protected]. The chip gets you to 290 hp and 288 ft/lbs or torque. It also gets better gas milage and better throtle response. The chip works better with the 6-speed, but i have the tip and it is very good. pm me if you have more questions, i know a couple of people here have chipped there W8 too.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
I have the wett chip, go to www.chip-tuning.com Kelly is the person to speak too, [email protected]. The chip gets you to 290 hp and 288 ft/lbs or torque. It also gets better gas milage and better throtle response. The chip works better with the 6-speed, but i have the tip and it is very good. pm me if you have more questions, i know a couple of people here have chipped there W8 too.
Yeah I think I am going to send my ECU out to Kelly, next week to get chipped as well. First gotta get the Coilovers for the ride first. :lol:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
like i said on other posts. I have taken my car in will all of the mods, except the chip, i havn't been back since that. They have replaced everything under warrenty with no problems. The car clearly is lower, i painted the calipers yellow, put race brake pads on, and my sub connected to all of the electrical stuff. They replaced a blown speaker, an abs module, a speed control module, the brake light switch and the purge valve. the only trouble they gave me is the one day wait for mail order parts. all under warrenty. I keep moddin and they dont care

·
Registered
239 Posts
Engine problems? Well.... I guess you never really know what the future is gonna bring but so far almost 30k miles and no engine problems at all.

Sounds to me like that particular dealer jsut didn't get any or sold all of his and would rather sell you what he has than sell you what you want. I'd say talk to some other dealers.

The point that they won't continue to be made much longer is valid though and if that bothers you, give that some consideration. The engine seems to be finding a home in other places (the Phaeton...) so it doesn't mean the engine is going away - just this particular car/engine combo.

HTH

Charlie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts