Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to do my own rear brakes in a couple of weeks and need to know which to buy on ecstuning ASAP.

So far, this is what I have decided on (I want to go with OEM rotors cause I'm cheap and don't need the braking performance). Is this right and will I need anything else (Brake fluid, neverseize, etc that I can get from Autozone)? What would ya'll go with...I have a 2003 1.8T Manual?

What I was looking at getting:
ECS Plain OEM Rotor - 9.6 (245x10)-Pair $49.95
Mintex Red Box Pads, rear (set of 4 pads) $39.50

Other Alternatives:
Hawk Performance Pads HP Plus Compound, rear (set of 4 pads) $69.95
Hawk Performance Pads HPS Compound (set of 4 pads) $59.95
PBR Ceramic Brake Pad Set $39.95

I've already seen this: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34022 so thanks for that!

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thats a lot a money for brake pads.... You should find them at the parts store for around 35.00... Unless you car id Chipped and need the extra stopping power.... Do you really need new rotors... Take them off and take them to a parts store and have them Check for run out... you may just need to have them turned. 8)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would a Brake Check or similar brake shop that does "free brake estimates" be a good source to find out if my rotors are in bad shape?

By "turned" does that mean to just do a right to left swap?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The rotors may need to be " machined" Or "Cut" to make them have even run out. Usually if you purchese the pads from your local parts store they may cut them for free or give you a 50% discount on the labor charge. Get a manual for your car and besure to torqe down all the fasteners with a torqe wrench and the specified torqe. If you overtighten the slider bolts, the brakes maynot fuction properly, they dont take much torqe, I think around 22 Ft Lbs. What you dont want is the brakes dragging and scraping the rotors without the brake being applied. 8)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Also many of the rotors in new cars particularly ours, have "disposable" rotors.. many times they cannot but machined but need to be replaced.. Older cars could have them machined several times, not the case anymore...

Zack

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don't forget the rear brakes are rather difficult to change with out the proper tools. I don't know what the tool is called but it is used to UN-ratchet the e-brake so you can get the new pads in. I didn't have it the fisrt time I did mine and it took about an hour. :sad:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
coinman said:
Thats a lot a money for brake pads.... You should find them at the parts store for around 35.00... Unless you car id Chipped and need the extra stopping power.... Do you really need new rotors... Take them off and take them to a parts store and have them Check for run out... you may just need to have them turned. 8)
Turning Volkswagen rotors will bring them out of spec!! You might also need a Caliper Piston Retractor Tool for the rear brakes.

There's some pretty good Do-It-Yourself instructions on ClubB5's Information Forum. I would recommend plain-faced rotors in the rear, with Axxis/PBR Metal Master pads. Mintex pads are O.K. but I've had bad experiences with them.

Good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Swami said:
coinman said:
Turning Volkswagen rotors will bring them out of spec!! You might also need a Caliper Piston Retractor Tool for the rear brakes.

There's some pretty good Do-It-Yourself instructions on ClubB5's Information Forum. I would recommend plain-faced rotors in the rear, with Axxis/PBR Metal Master pads. Mintex pads are O.K. but I've had bad experiences with them.

Good luck
I have Turned both the front and rear rotors on My Passat and have no problems. VW puts a stamp on the rotors showing minimal thickness. :roll:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Why are you rolling your eyes? Many people on here have turned their stock rotors only to have them warp after less than expected mileage. Your experience is more uncommon.

Where is that rear brake tool on GermanAutoParts? I wish this damn website had a search feature.

·
Registered
869 Posts
coinman said:
If the rotors are serverly out of round and the tech. has to cut a lot off of them, then folks are cutting the rotors to thin, thus the warpage. :wink:
that's true for any car. the reason it happens more often than not with VW rotors is that they are thin to begin with.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This site has come up a lot. Good prices.
http://www.importrp.com/catalog.php?subcat=11&year=30&type=270&subcat1=Brake+Rotors&subcat_id=11

$41 Brembo OE front rotor
$33 Brembo OE rear rotor

$39 PBR/Axxis Metal Master Pads pads - front
$34 PBR/Axxis Metal Master Pads - rear

$ 33.99 - Mintex front
$ 29.89 - Mintex rear

LoneStarPoke said:
So I am going to do my own rear brakes in a couple of weeks and need to know which to buy on ecstuning ASAP.

So far, this is what I have decided on (I want to go with OEM rotors cause I'm cheap and don't need the braking performance). Is this right and will I need anything else (Brake fluid, neverseize, etc that I can get from Autozone)? What would ya'll go with...I have a 2003 1.8T Manual?

Other Alternatives:

I've already seen this: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34022 so thanks for that!

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Joker! Have you ordered from there before? I don't want to go to a site no one on here trusts...

JokerUNM said:
This site has come up a lot. Good prices.
http://www.importrp.com/catalog.php?subcat=11&year=30&type=270&subcat1=Brake+Rotors&subcat_id=11

$41 Brembo OE front rotor
$33 Brembo OE rear rotor

$39 PBR/Axxis Metal Master Pads pads - front
$34 PBR/Axxis Metal Master Pads - rear

$ 33.99 - Mintex front
$ 29.89 - Mintex rear

LoneStarPoke said:

Other Alternatives:

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
869 Posts
those prices are about the same as germanautoparts, ecs, and parts4vws. remember that rotors are usually sold individually, so it'd be twice that.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I need to replace my brakes as well, and I've found the following prices.

I focused on plain OEM rotors, and PBR Metal Master pads if they were available, mintex if they weren't.

Import Replacement Parts

25483 - Brembo Brake Rotors(front) $ 40.99 2 $ 81.98
D 807 RM - PBR/Axxis Brake Pads*(front) $ 39.09 1 $ 39.09

25175 - Brembo Brake Rotors(rear) $ 32.99 2 $ 65.98
D 104 RM - PBR/Axxis Brake Pads*(rear) $ 33.99 1 $ 33.99

Shipping $ 27.99

total $ 249.03

* - Metal Master Pads

Mintex Rear $29.89
Mintex Front $ 33.99

ECS Tuning

Plain OEM Rotor - 11.3" (288x25)-pair $79.95

Mintex Red Box Pads, rear (set of 4 pads)* $39.50

Mintex Red Box Pads(front) - pair without sensors* 49.00

shipping $32.99

total $251.39

* PBR Ceramic Brake Pad Set-Without Sensor Wires $54.95
Rear $39.95

No sign of metal masters
German Autoparts

Passat Brake pad set, Mintex Rear ** $36.75
Passat Brake pad set, Mintex Front $78.75
Passat Rear disc, solid, 9.6" 2 30.45 $60.90
Passat Front disc* 2 29.00 $58.00

Shipping $????

Total $234.40

*Site says that there "Nice quality aftermarket rotors. United Brake brand, made in the U.K."
**PBR Metal Master available for rears $34.65

I couldn't find any plain rotors at parts4vws so I left it out.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Import Replacement Parts

25483 - Brembo Brake Rotors(front) $ 40.99 2 $ 81.98
D 807 RM - PBR/Axxis Brake Pads*(front) $ 39.09 1 $ 39.09

25175 - Brembo Brake Rotors(rear) $ 32.99 2 $ 65.98
D 104 RM - PBR/Axxis Brake Pads*(rear) $ 33.99 1 $ 33.99

Shipping $ 27.99

total $ 249.03

* - Metal Master Pads

Mintex Rear $29.89
Mintex Front $ 33.99

Once again thanks for the info Joker!

I think I am going to order from Import Replacement Parts cause I can get the Brembo rear rotors and the good PBR Metal Masters there.

Would you go with the PBR/Axxis Metal Master(says these virtually eliminate brake dust) or the PBR/Axxis Ultimate (Ceramic-Kevlar)?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm going back and forth, but I'm thinking of going with the metal masters because of the break dust factor; the ultimates produce more dust.

I've read some reviews that said that the dust is easy to remove however, compared to dust from other pads. I believe it was a miata group.

From what I've read both have a good bite when warm....the ultimates have a better bite when cold.

I'm not sure how much weather plays a factor however. You live in Austin, I don't think you see very many really cold days.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, it only freezes in Austin about 5 days out of the year so the cold weather isn't a factor. I'm going with the PBR Metal Master for sure then.

THanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts