Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
l.8 turbo, manual tranny.

Anything in particular to look for?

Car has 166K on the clock. I test drove it and it drives absolutely perfectly. Its in surprisingly good shape and currently at a trusted mechanic friend of mine's shop to be gone thru, but i'm just curious if there are any items to pay particular attention to.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
There are many threads on this topic you can search for with long lists on things to check.
Here's a few.

Scan the car for fault codes.

Last timing belt service? Every 60-70K on the 1.8T And were the tensioners, rollers and water pump changed?

What color is the coolant? Pinkish good. Green or brown bad.

How does the heat work? Should just about burn your hand. Hardly working bad.

Check the oil pressure. Very important!

What type of oil has the owner been using? 0W40 or 5W40 VW 502 approved full synthetic is the only good answer.

Check PCV system for gunk and sludge.

Valve cover oil leaks?

Pull the carpet on the drivers side and inspect for water as shown in attached. http://www.headfuzz.co.uk/vw_ccm

CV boots?

Inspect the suspension, control arms.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,614 Posts
l.8 turbo, manual tranny.

Anything in particular to look for?

Car has 166K on the clock. I test drove it and it drives absolutely perfectly. Its in surprisingly good shape and currently at a trusted mechanic friend of mine's shop to be gone thru, but i'm just curious if there are any items to pay particular attention to.
I would certainly inspect the clutch and its disc carefully and make sure it's not at the end of it's life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would certainly inspect the clutch and its disc carefully and make sure it's not at the end of it's life.
yea, that is one of the main things i told my mechanic to check. The clutch doesnt start to engage till i'm almost pulling my foot off the pedal, wasnt sure if there was an adjustment that could be made, if thats just the way it was made, or if the clutch was wearing out.

Is replacing the clutch a large ordeal or expense on this car?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
yea, that is one of the main things i told my mechanic to check. The clutch doesnt start to engage till i'm almost pulling my foot off the pedal, wasnt sure if there was an adjustment that could be made, if thats just the way it was made, or if the clutch was wearing out.

Is replacing the clutch a large ordeal or expense on this car?
That is correct operation for a VW hydraulic clutch. There are no adjustments.

Yes, and Yes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts