Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Possibly purchasing a 2002 Passat that does not run. Has 130k Miles on the Odo with no records.
Problem: Cranks but does not start

-Has spark on at least two cylinders that we tested.
-Tried to start with MAF unplugged with no luck
-Listened for buzz of fuel pump but could not hear it. Had one person lay on top of fuel pump while other turned key to on and off but had nothing. Also heard nothing when cranking but not 100%.
-Heard some pumps prime with door opening. We had key in with door open chime but no dome light.
-Failed to listen for fuel pump when opening the door but battery was also dead when door was first opened.
-Confirmed we had power to pump when cranking but not when turning key to on. Only used a dummy light so no exact on amount.
-Car nearly started with fuel pump harness unplugged but not plugged in. Only happened briefly so most likely a coincidence.

Things I will try the next time I see it:

-Spraying starter fluid in intake to see if that gets it running.
-Manually turning on pump with a battery. Can I use thick speaker wire? Probably 14 or 12 gauge from a car battery to the pump pins?
-Pulling input fuel line to filter and directing to a bucket and attempting to start to see if any flow at all.

I ruled out the common fuse, relay and crank sensor issues by confirming we had some power I assume. But when we very first showed up I replaced the #28 fuse for good measures.

Any other thoughts, or easy and not to intrusive tests I could run? Does it sound hands down like fuel pump?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
A VAG-COM code scan would be the preferred starting point. Your clue might be stored in the ECU. First make sure that you really have 12V available at both sides of the fuel pump fuse, relative to ground.

I would attempt to run the pump directly with a battery as mentioned. The wire sizes you mentioned will work OK. Be sure the polarity is correct; match your battery Negative to the terminal where the brown wire is on the connector. If the pump doesn't run, remove the pump to check on the workbench. The pump itself could be OK, but have a wiring problem between the tank cover connector and pump terminals (happened to me).

If the pump does run with your battery test, then connect a 55W headlight bulb across the pump terminals on the harness connector. Attempting to start will light the bulb if the circuit is working.

If it does not light, check that the brown ground wire at the pump connector is indeed grounded to the car's metal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a Check engine light and EPC light but I dont have a code scanner or vag com system and cant get it any where close to where a shop or autozone could check it. Nor does autozone or any where else loan them any more.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Another thing to check, requireing that you remove the "knee bolster" cover under the steering collumn, is the fuel pump relay. You can find photos showing where it is if you don't have a shop manual. You just pull it from the relay terminal block, then carfully pry off the plastic cover. Reinstall without the cover, then watch the contacts while you try to start the engine. The contacts should close during the whole time the engine is cranking. You should also find one contact is at battery voltage (all times) while the other is grounded through the fuel pump. Pushing the contacts together by hand should make the pump run, or light the test bulb.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my plan of attack is to try the starter fluid in the intake right away to just see if that starts it. Then I will test with a multi-meter what volts I am getting at the pump harness. If 12V or close, I will then test the pump manually, either by pushing the relay contacts together with the car on jumper cables or a battery and speaker wire. If that still gets nothing, I will crank the engine with the fuel output line to the filter directed into a gas tank to see if we get anything out of it. If all this shows the fuel pump, I will decide If I plan on replacing the pump before purchasing to test or if I will just pull the trigger. If the starter fluid doesen't get it to start, should I be concerned about any thing else? Also the car hasn't ran for about 6 months so will maybe more starting fluid be necessary? Of course I checked oil and it was fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also If I do get it running and down to say autozone. Does a normal obd2 reader pickup the EPC light codes? Also can a normal reader clear VW codes? And finally will just a EPC light with no check engine light prevent it from passing emissions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my experiences , epc light on - crank position sensor bad. Most decent obd2 generic readers can read/erase codes . Passing emissions/ CEL On - depends on where you live/local laws. If you plan on keeping the car & doin work yourself, I would def invest in VCDS over a generic scanner It will pay out more in the long run:thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried relentlessly to get the car started or at least begin to catch with starter fluid in the intake with no luck. Something other than fuel was a problem. :confused: Decided a dinged up Passat with 130k, not running, and a front bumper being held on by tape was not worth the $1,500. Thanks for all the help though. On the bright side I learned more than I ever needed about the Passat fuel systems :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts