Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a high-end laptop with large LCD. I am contemplating between the two below:

- HP Pavillion ZD7000

- Toshiba P25

Any pros & cons or personal experience with the aboves are appreciated. Also, any good deal on the net please post link.

TIA

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Stay away from HP laptops, too. They're crap. I would rather set myself on fire than buy an HP or Compaq laptop. We had several at work and they all crapped out. We then switched to IBM ThinkPads and Toshiba Satellites and one Toshiba Tecra, all was well...

I just bought my third Toshiba laptop a few weeks ago...(P15-S420) ...Love it! I looked at the P25-S520 also, but it was way too big!!! It would be like having Oprah in your lap.
FWIW, I've never had a problem with any of my Toshibas; I'm either really really lucky, or they kick major ass!

3.0 GHz P4 /w H-T
512 MB DDR RAM
Widescreen SVGA
80 GB HD
DVD Burner
Integrated Wireless Internet
iEEE 1394
..all kinds of other stuff

So, I would recommend the Toshiba. Just by my experiences...

-Harry

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
IBM nothing else of course I am biased I work for them :p

But seriously, IBM ThinkPads are solidly built :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SDPassatT said:
Stay away from HP laptops, too. They're crap. I would rather set myself on fire than buy an HP or Compaq laptop. We had several at work and they all crapped out. We then switched to IBM ThinkPads and Toshiba Satellites and one Toshiba Tecra, all was well...

I just bought my third Toshiba laptop a few weeks ago...(P15-S420) ...Love it! I've never had a problem with any of my Toshibas; I'm either really really lucky, or they kick major ass!

3.0 GHz P4 /w H-T
512 MB DDR RAM
Widescreen SVGA
80 GB HD
DVD Burner
Internal Wireless Internet card
3 USB ports

-Harry
Being in Houston, I have friends who are currently working at HP, and a few that used to work there, and I heard similar tales regarding HP laptop. Coming from insider of HP you either have to take it with a grain of salt (disgruntal ex-employee), or take it to heart with these insider friends. Nonetheless, I am leaning toward Toshiba.

Any good deal on the net for Toshiba anyone ? I checked fatwallets already, none thus far.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm very happy with my Dell Inspiron 8600. You can even get a few hundred knocked off going refurb, which carries the same warrenty and is completely rebuilt. Pentium-M (Centrino), 15.4" widescreem SXGA+, 512MB, DVD+RW, 802.11 built in, firewire, yadda yadda yadda... $1200 (2 months ago). They have tons to choose from.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
vuvision said:
SDPassatT said:

I just bought my third Toshiba laptop a few weeks ago...(P15-S420) ...Love it! I've never had a problem with any of my Toshibas; I'm either really really lucky, or they kick major ass!

3.0 GHz P4 /w H-T
512 MB DDR RAM
Widescreen SVGA
80 GB HD
DVD Burner
Internal Wireless Internet card
3 USB ports

-Harry
Being in Houston, I have friends who are currently working at HP, and a few that used to work there, and I heard similar tales regarding HP laptop. Coming from insider of HP you either have to take it with a grain of salt (disgruntal ex-employee), or take it to heart with these insider friends. Nonetheless, I am leaning toward Toshiba.

Any good deal on the net for Toshiba anyone ? I checked fatwallets already, none thus far.
You may think I'm blowin smoke up your a$$, but I think Best Buy has the best prices. Better than anywhere online that I've seen. They have a good deal on the P25-S520 right now, too. Last I checked, it was $1899 after a $100 mail-in rebate.

...hope you don't mind having a TEN POUND laptop though. I think my desktop weighs less. :lol: It's nice though.

...oh, and you WERE kinda rude to passaturbonium. :suspicio: But my name's Bennett and I ain't in it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What are you planning on using it for?? high end could mean an AlienWare piece or a Toshiba or Dell depending on use

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
passaturbonium said:
vuvision said:
Thanks passaturbo, but that wasn't the topic. Next please ...
Unless you are loaded....or your job is buying it.....you will regret it.

But that wasn't nice of you.....I was tring to give you a good advice.... :mad:
passaturbonium ... just giving you smack my friend :wink: :poke:

But no, I am not loaded, and yes this is for work. Funding is not unlimited, but it's there to get something with a large LCD to wow our audience with the presentation.

Cheers

·
Registered
184 Posts
In that case Alienware and Toshiba have quality large screen units, Toshiba actually has a new 17" widescreen unit that is amazing!

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SDPassatT said:
You may think I'm blowin smoke up your a$$, but I think Best Buy has the best prices. Better than anywhere online that I've seen. They have a good deal on the P25-S520 right now, too. Last I checked, it was $1899 after a $100 mail-in rebate.

...hope you don't mind having a TEN POUND laptop though. I think my desktop weighs less. :lol: It's nice though.

...oh, and you WERE kinda rude to passaturbonium. :suspicio: But my name's Bennett and I ain't in it.
I was at BB today, and did noticed the sales on the Toshiba P15 & P25. Best price that I've seen yet.

Thanks for the confirmation ... and btw, passaturbonium deserved it :wink: :p

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Dell Inspiron 8600 ?? 15.4 inches..

I'm not crazy about Toshiba laptops, or Best Buy. then again, you're not getting it for me. :thumbup: :wink:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Vu,

I have been very happy with my HP laptop. We use HP's at work, and have had 0 problems with them (this over a 3 year period now)

I bought a zt3000 in december, and seriously couldn't be happier.

If you looking for te 17" screen, then I agree go with ZD7000.

If your looking for a 15.4" screen, then I would reccomend the zt3000.

its alot lighter, thinner, good power form the Pentium M ect...

-Nick

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
Vu,

I have been very happy with my HP laptop. We use HP's at work, and have had 0 problems with them (this over a 3 year period now)

I bought a zt3000 in december, and seriously couldn't be happier.

If you looking for te 17" screen, then I agree go with ZD7000.

If your looking for a 15.4" screen, then I would reccomend the zt3000.

its alot lighter, thinner, good power form the Pentium M ect...

-Nick
I looked into an M processor too, but I noticed my friend's Sony with the M processor was so slowwww. It *does* hold a battery charge for a long ass time though; unbelievable! :bow:
Power-wise, I don't think the M's hold a candle to the new P4 with Hyper-Threading though...they're awesome multi-tasking processors. :thumbup:

But that's my opinion..
-Harry

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
The M's aren't as fast, but they run cooler and hold the charge longer. it really depends on what you're using the laptop for, and whether or not you're gonna keep it plugged in most of the time.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
i also posted this in the acer topic. I picked one of these up for my cousin yesterday. very good deal.

Go to your local wallmart and check out this laptop. It might ring up at $798 even though the sticker is higher... hint hint

HP Pavilion ZE5547WM Notebook PC
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2437907&sourceid=11904544683359880602

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.66 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM40 GB hardrive
15-inch XGA TFT flat screen monitor
DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
Integrated 54g wireless LAN
64 MB DDR SDRAM video memory (shared)
Integrated 56 Kbps (v.90/v.92) modem
Integrated 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN
AC power adapter High Capacity 8-cell lithium-ion battery
Weight: 7.5 pounds, including battery
Dimensions: 12.9"L x 10.7"W x 1.7"H
1-year limited hardware warranty, 90 days software support
External ports: 3 USB 2.0, 1 parallel, 1 RJ-11 modem port, 1 RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 IR, 1 microphone and headphone connection, 1 lock, 1 VGA, 1 TV-out (S-video), 1 IEEE-1394 port
Software included: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (including Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Internet Explorer), InterVideo WinDVD, Roxio Easy CD Creator, MusicMatch Jukebox, Corel Productivity Pack includes: Corel Quatro Pro 10 and Corel WordPerfect 10, Microsoft Windows Media Player 9.0

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
baisee00 said:
I love my dell..........some really good deals right now! :thumbup:
dell has some great deals from time to time. i sometimes wonder how they make money on some of the deals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
vwjedi
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing