Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

A 2015 Golf TDI owner here who is looking for an additional car for my family. I just test-drove a 2012 Passat today, but I need some help deciding whether to move forward with an offer or not. The seller is asking for $2,000 above the Blue Book value. Here's the car description:

• 2012 Passat S PZEV Manual 5-spd
  • 37,000 miles
  • Silver color
  • Owner says he has put on new 17-inch alloy wheels and new tires just recently. he says it was $1,800 total for all those.
  • Power windows, Cruise Control, Bluetooth.
  • Seller is asking $13,000 for it (already lowered than his original ad asking price).
  • KBB value for Excellent condition = $10,700. Edmunds says $11,300.
  • Carfax is clean.
  • Car is indeed in excellent shape and drives well, from what I could tell. Has one small ding on the hood and some very minor interior scuffs, but overall everything is like 9/10. Also, it was driven in Southern California its entire life, so no harsh winters and salt and whatnot.

The price is within my budget, but I'm not sure about the price. He already knows the KBB and Edmunds values, and he says he isn't in a rush to sell. I can understand the new/premium wheels and tires driving the price up a bit, and the overall condition being great and all. But I'm not sure if it's all worth $2K over blue book.

What do you think? Is a low-mileage, excellent-condition 2012 Passat like this worth pursuing? Are they known to be reliable?

Thanks! I appreciate the help of Passat experts!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems clear the seller wants to recoup his expense of the wheels and tires. The new alloy wheels added some value, but the original tires were likely close to being replaced anyway so I don't see them adding any value to the car other than making it more 'sellable'. Also, 'Excellent' condition means no dings or scuffs, so the car is likely between 'Good' and 'Excellent'. See if you can find one on a dealer lot to compare pricing with and go from there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Something else to consider with this one is the shceduled maintenance costs you would have to take on on top of the overhead in purchase price.

I would kindly offer KBB/Edmunds pricing or pass on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got the same car with triple the mileage. It's been stone reliable and still tight as a new car. But, the car you're looking is at the most a $11K car. All day long.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts