Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first VW next week. It's a 2008 Passat 2.0t Lux automatic with 80,000 miles. The price is excellent and it has maintence records of the following:

- Synthetic oil changes every 5k miles
- Brake fluid changed at 18,000 miles
- Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor replaced at 67,000 miles
- Engine oil system flush (?) at 78,000 miles.

I plan on bringing it to a VW dealership for a pre-purchase inspection. Is there anything I should be looking for when getting into a VW?

Also, are there any other items I should replace or address sooner, rather than later? Coolant, transmission fluid, PCV valve, timing belt, cam follower?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, looks like you pretty much got the problematic areas figured out. When it's at the dealer find out what recalls extended/warranties have/haven't been done and make sure you can get them done. You can always negotiate the price down a bit more if you wanted to based on those factors. I got on 07 for dirt cheap from the dealer because I did my research ahead of time.

PCV is easy and pretty cheap. personally I went with the delete kit since after researching even the revised version fail somewhat commonly.

Cam follower was also pretty easy though mine wasn't too worn, I replaced it anyway since I had already purchased the new one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You say brake fluid changed at 18k. But this is an every two years' item. As total miles is now 80k, when was brake fluid flush done last? Not DOT4. Fluid must be to spec. VW 501 14-B 000 750 and marked as such on the can. All brakes fluids become hydroscopic after a time leading to weaker operation in general and possible corrosion of brake components by the increasing amount of water in an old fluid.

When were pads last changed? Although low pad indicator should come on with just over 1/8" pad remaining. Only the left front pad is monitored.

When was ATF changed? For both Tiptronic and DSG it's every four years. Change filter too

Check all the electrics work.

Let us know how you get on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm big on maintenance and replacing items (PVC, cam follower, etc) that may be an issue later on. I'm not familiar with a delete kit, I will have to do some research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response RichardSEL. I will ask the dealer about any additional items that may have been done. I found all the information I posted above from a car fax and a call to the shop the vehicle was serviced at since 2011. I'll be making sure the dealership I bring it to checks the brakes. I did not see any ATF fluid changes in the history of the vehicle. I will use this as a negotiating tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not Recommend

Ok so you would need change -

Timing Belt / Timing chain / water pump / pulleys / - Depending how you do it it will cost you around 500 $ ( kit ) + labor.looking at 1500 $ This is MUST DO
Check Cam follower and related with that problems ( self cost 40 $ , could be up to 4000$ if you cam shaft damaged due to worn cam follower)
Check Turbo for leaking . IF it leaks you need to replace it or apply service kit ( turbo around 1000 $ + labor )
Check Transmission - On hot engine make sure all gears shifts smooth. Transmission has part called body valve that goes bad very often on high mileage.
If you body valve goes bad you looking another 2 grand

So be very very careful, You purchase might need very big investments. I would not recommend by 06-08 FSI Passat with that mileage.

Regarding ATF FLUID - 06-09 Trans are not services in dealerships. Its Sealed unit dont required ATF change. You may change it after 100k but it only can make it worse ( I drive 186k on same fluid )

And dont forget you would need brakes rotors tires and all that. So think twice ....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Initially VW said not to change the fluid at all in the 09G auto transmissions. Then the valve bodies started failing (which prompted the extended warranty) and they said that AT needs to have the fluid changed every 40 k mls. it is hard to get a "correct" answer to your question. I personally think the "change fluid every 40k mls" was VW engineer's response to the valve bodies problem, probably in a fight with the AT manufacturer (AISIN).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the thing to keep in mind here is that you are (may be) buying a premium vehicle. Premium ride, premium performance, and of course premium maintenance. Once you accept that I suspect you will have a more enjoyable ownership experience. Besides, if it's running well at 80K miles then you probably don't have a lemon (presuming you have looked at the service records)

If you want a maintenance free vehicle then go lease a Kia...they look terrific in my rearview.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts