Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was hanging around an audio forum ( thanks QS) and i see people making there own comp sets but when i asked on what to do it was suggested that i dont do it so i was wondering why? If i use this eq and four of these mids why cant i just make some comp sets for my car not sure what tweeters yet

here is the post if you are curious http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114762

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Well for one...you need crossovers, and making them isn't that easy for a novice...hell I've been doing this crap for 5-6 years, and I don't even want to mess with custom x-overs.

Unless of course you decide that you want to go completly active, which IMO is FAAAARRRR better than a passive setup. FYI, passive is what you'd be running if you bought a comp set...active is using an electronic crossover.

Whats the difference you might ask? Well, I'll tell you.

Passive uses capacitors and resistors to shape the crossover frequency, but the problem lies in that because you don't ever listen to one set tone (you're weird if you do) and the crossover point is totally deppendent on the frequency being applied, it's constantly changing, granted most normal people won't notice it but there is a difference.

Active, just to oppoiste and is made possible by the use of an electronic crossover, and is the easiet option if you plan to do a custom set of comps.

Also, IMO it is rather pointless to spend any money on the rear speakers...you can't really hear them anyway and IMO all it does is pull the soundstage back and make it sound crappy.

I'd get two of these and two of these then call it a day...well then you need a good active x-over, anything from Audiocontrol will be a good choice.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i just got a set of alpine type R 2005 comps. still running them off of alpine headunit power (somethin dismal like 16w RMS) and they sound wonderful. they sound even more clear in my friend's truck and he has 50 watts RMS running to it, i plan to amp them soon.

they are great and work in any budget (like 160 shipped online for a pair of the R's)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would not bother, get some nice components from mb quart, focal, or jl audio....they will give you the sound you want.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now you are throwing brands at me...ive had mb quarts, didnt care much for them, focal is a little expensive and jl is way over priced, now the type R's are on my list to consider because ive heard lots of good things about the entire R line. and you say active is better then why cant i use the huge eq in my picture. and get my own seperates...audiocontrol is very good ive dealt with them before but again...why cant i use the DOD in my first picture? i am only doing the front so i wont need anything that can do 4th order so my eq should be perfect. right?

·
Registered
417 Posts
hey,

you asked opinions I gave. that's all....if you are going about making your own component set..get a 3 way x over, and make them out of that.

it goes head unit to x over...xover to amp and amp to speakers...you will need an amp for hi's mid's and low's. audio control has good xovers....as does precision power. and they are hell of a lot smaller than those dod's....that's crazy to have in your car. my opinion.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh no no no ...i do thank you for your opinions...but i want to know what you have owned yourself....and i do have an hu to that dod thing then to amp to speakers...seperate amp for subs...could i use the crossovers that my speakers have now and just change the speakers so long as the ohm load is ok?..

·
Registered
417 Posts
I always had component sets...no hassles of rigging stuff up yourself then. I seriously would not bother trying to make them up yourself...get a nice set...and be done with it. Its easier and better sounding in the long run.

I have had products from jl, mb, alpine, sony, pioneer, profile, ppi, legacy you name it I used it.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is all ive ever had also..just thought i would try something new...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
guy022077 said:
now you are throwing brands at me...ive had mb quarts, didnt care much for them, focal is a little expensive and jl is way over priced, now the type R's are on my list to consider because ive heard lots of good things about the entire R line. and you say active is better then why cant i use the huge eq in my picture. and get my own seperates...audiocontrol is very good ive dealt with them before but again...why cant i use the DOD in my first picture? i am only doing the front so i wont need anything that can do 4th order so my eq should be perfect. right?

I wouldn't bother with anything from Alpine unless it's from their Type X line, or F1 Status line, and all you're really doing is buying what I linked in my other post...Alpine sources parts from DST (Danish Speaker Technology - Vifa, Scan-Speak, Peerless) slaps their name on it and calls it their own.

I currently run Alpine Type Xs in my front doors...basically it's just a Vifa mid and Vifa soft dome tweeter, hell they're both on that site I gave you earlier.

As for the EQ, it's just that, an EQ and unless I'm missing something it doesn't look like it has crossover capabilities and thus would not be any help to you except for fine tuning of your sound stage which isn't what you want them to do.

I would just save your self the trouble and buy a high end set of comps and be done with it.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
^^^Exactly. An EQ won't function as a crossover. the biggest issue with designing your own passive crossover is what alignment and values to use. And in all honesty, do you think you can do it better than the manufacturer? I know I can't.

Now, it you go active that's a whole other ball game. With a fully active system it's VERY easy to build a great sounding system but VERY expensive because of the extra amps you'll need.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
I know you saw my FS threads on CA.com. If you are intrested I could sell you the TN52 Tweeters and the Crossovers and then you could pick up a set of Focal mids from a dealer. You dont have to use the K2P mids specifically, the regular KP mids will work and shouldnt be insanely expensive. Let me know what your budget is for the whole component setup. Shoot me a PM :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did ask about those on CA.com pm sent....thanks everyone...i just wanted something new...guess its back to the old comp set...alpine typr R have been getting a lot attention...and i didnt car emuch for focal...my friend is a dealer for them and treo,memphis etc...and i like my memphis but they need more KICK. guess its off to the shopping extravaganza known as THE WEB...thanks guys...

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
guy022077 said:
i did ask about those on CA.com pm sent....thanks everyone...i just wanted something new...guess its back to the old comp set...alpine typr R have been getting a lot attention...and i didnt car emuch for focal...my friend is a dealer for them and treo,memphis etc...and i like my memphis but they need more KICK. guess its off to the shopping extravaganza known as THE WEB...thanks guys...
I didnt get any PM...

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And in all honesty, do you think you can do it better than the manufacturer? I know I can't.
no i doubt it....but if the problem is the speaker can i use the same crossovers and change the speakers? or is that just stupid? it sounds like it wouldnt work...but what would the harm be?...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
guy022077 said:
no i doubt it....but if the problem is the speaker can i use the same crossovers and change the speakers? or is that just stupid? it sounds like it wouldnt work...but what would the harm be?...

No real 'harm' but the crossover frequency will change because the x-over is designed for a specific speaker and when you introduce a new driver into the ball game...it all changes.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
guy022077 said:
you can do it and it probably won't hurt anything but the crossover points, filter slope and filter type are all chosen based on the drivers to be used.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok ok ok soo i wont do it...ill just go get some type R's for my front or some other matching set....thanks guys

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
guy022077 said:
ok ok ok soo i wont do it...ill just go get some type R's for my front or some other matching set....thanks guys
Give the Type-Xs a listen. Seriously. They blow the Rs away and can be had for under $200 on eBay. They're VERY good sounding speakers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts