Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today its very hot and i was driving to the store with the A/C on about 3 bars on the climatronic.
i park,go in the store,come back out 10 min later.
start the car with the AC on. and i get a strong smell of burning oil or something similar thru the a/c vents.
i turn the A/C off and drive for 10 min.
i turn it on again before arriving home and no smell.

i pop the hood and theres condensation all over the rubber hose that leads on passenger side by the cabin air filter.
and i hear a sound coming from there also.

anyone know what could be going wrong?
car seems to drive the same so far.

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
I bet its the valve cover gasket dripping oil on your cat converter ;)
Could also be the cam seals. Get the PCV system checked to make sure its not clogged, this can cause back pressure and force oil out through seals that may be weak. Also, the condensation is normal, thats a cold pipe and the humid air is condensing on it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could also be the cam seals. Get the PCV system checked to make sure its not clogged, this can cause back pressure and force oil out through seals that may be weak. Also, the condensation is normal, thats a cold pipe and the humid air is condensing on it.
last month i removed the large pcv that runs around the front of the engine and i washed it out with hot water and put it back on.
you think its clogged somewhere else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could be any number of things... the suction pump is a weak point on these cars, and a bad check valve would allow boost into the crankcase as well. There's a lot of good info on this site, as well as some write-ups and diagrams that would give you a good idea how to proceed. The moisture and noise on/in your A/C line is totally normal. A gurgling noise is just the freon changing from a gas to liquid again, and the pressure equalizing in the system.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im guessing ill have to replace the whole PCV system. since from what im reading, you cant clean the valves.only the hoses.

is there any PCV delete systems that dont throw a CEL? and pass emissions?
the more i read about this,it seems like people are replacing the entire system every 2 years.
its either a design flaw or a really good maintenance scam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.