Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 1.8t 4MO 5speed wagon last week and a few days later, during a 4-point turn, the cabin was suddenly overwhelmed by a horrific stench. It smelled like a cross between burning oil and a dead mouse. The odor assault returned every time a 3 or 4 point turn was made. I have a service appointment at VW tomorrow AM but, any insight, thoughts or ideas about what this can be could be very helpful beforehand. There has been no damage to the car of any kind and the break-in procedures have otherwise been going very well. Other than the odd problem, the car has be exemplerary. Any help or feedback on like experiences would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I posted a reply on Vortex, but now after re-reading your post... I think it's this:

They use a conductive grease on the horn contacts for the slip-rings so they don't squeak. The slip rings let the horn wire come from the car to the horn button with no issues like tangling, etc.

The grease can bridge the gap between the 2 rings and will burn/smoke until it's burned off.

This happened to me on my B3 VR6 and it scared the crap out of me. I thought I had an electrical fire and immediately pulled over to the side of the highway and shut it down.

If this is the problem... there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. There was no clutch slippage. I've never smelled anything like this. Perhaps it was the grease. I also wonder if the near lock-to-lock turning in the 3-point turns resulted in increased steering fluid pressure contributing to momentary leaks at those moments.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I would check the PS system and rack for a high pressure leak. The PS is on the
wrong side of the car to leak on the exhaust,but you never know. Was there any smoke?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
znalg said:
I picked up my 1.8t 4MO 5speed wagon last week and a few days later, during a 4-point turn, the cabin was suddenly overwhelmed by a horrific stench. It smelled like a cross between burning oil and a dead mouse. The odor assault returned every time a 3 or 4 point turn was made. I have a service appointment at VW tomorrow AM but, any insight, thoughts or ideas about what this can be could be very helpful beforehand. There has been no damage to the car of any kind and the break-in procedures have otherwise been going very well. Other than the odd problem, the car has be exemplerary. Any help or feedback on like experiences would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
I also have similar burning smell everytime after boosting the chipped engine for a period. I think it's coming from the red turbo? Mine is a tiptronic 1.8T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts