Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess these things are pretty tough to keep under control...








Original link
cheers :beer:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,046 Posts
Wonder if he took out a fence when he jumped that curb? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Seeing as the body is still good I dont think any fence was taken and if it jumped a curb you'd think the rims would crack before the break rotor?
So I reckon side swipe into kerb breaking axle (?) and brake rotor!
 

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
Joined
·
8,552 Posts
Is this the same Carrera GT that slid into the median curb in So. Cal.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thing with cars like that are that you either keep it in the garage for the investment or you drive it to it's fullest (in the case of the Carrera, your fullest). Even professional drivers put this thing sideways. IMO, it's not the drivers fault the car went curb-hopping. Porche built the fastest, most rediculously over-powered super car and made it for sale to the monetarily elite. I think the driver bought the car not knowing what he was getting into.
Another observation: don't plates that begin with 'DL' mean 'Dealer'? In the original thread over on Vortex, someone said that the car was 10 days out of the lot when it came back like this but if that's the case, wouldn't it have temp tags? Do dealerships let people take these things out on test drives?
On the up-side, we may start seeing these things on craigs list for cheap when they scare the bejezus out of the owner :)
cheers :beer:
 

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
Joined
·
8,552 Posts
My bad, it was a different one. And the one I was thinking about was in Canada.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Anyone else notice the center hubs are red on the left and blue on the right? Just an observation.

It's a pity to see a car treated this way but accidents do happen along with poor driving skills I suppose. I think if it were me and I had money out the wazoo I would take some professional driving classes (Skip Barber, etc.) so that I wouldn't be likely to do something like this with my car that costs more than most people's homes. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Anyone else notice the center hubs are red on the left and blue on the right? Just an observation
if you go to porsche's web site they explain that the center lugs turn opposite on either side of the car.

They did this so that driving the car tightens the lug.

If they we're all righty-tighty/lefty-loosey driverside lugs would loosen up from driving.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
andros said:
if you go to porsche's web site they explain that the center lugs turn opposite on either side of the car.

They did this so that driving the car tightens the lug.

If they we're all righty-tighty/lefty-loosey driverside lugs would loosen up from driving.


Jim
Sweet - that's pretty slick - I like it! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts


Is that the insurance adjuster looking at the mechanic making a "guesstimate" of what it will cost to fix it? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Der Meister said:
Is that the insurance adjuster looking at the mechanic making a "guesstimate" of what it will cost to fix it? :)
No, that's the insurance adjuster saying "I'm going to raise this turd's rates, my vacation home payment is due this month!" And the Porche mechanic is saying "You know, that's a great idea, I'm going to double my cost to fix this turd's car, I've got a boat payment due this month!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Those rims are made of forged magnesium, isn't that what armor is made of ?


In both of those sets of pics the rims are cracked to shit.

Iv'e seen aluminum bend and get a crack in it, but those just chipped off.

Little bit to brittle for my likes, not that I go around hitting curbs for fun.


jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
Sullie said:
No, that's the insurance adjuster saying "I'm going to raise this turd's rates, my vacation home payment is due this month!" And the Porche mechanic is saying "You know, that's a great idea, I'm going to double my cost to fix this turd's car, I've got a boat payment due this month!"
LOL. Good one! :beer:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,046 Posts
andros said:
Those rims are made of forged magnesium, isn't that what armor is made of ?


In both of those sets of pics the rims are cracked to shit.

Iv'e seen aluminum bend and get a crack in it, but those just chipped off.

Little bit to brittle for my likes, not that I go around hitting curbs for fun.


jim
Magnesium is a fairly brittle metal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Look at all the grass and dirt under the rear, and then on the ground at the back of the flatbed..

Jumped the curb for sure, and then went off-roadin!
The driver's side has a nice rub down the length too.. Ouch.

Anyway, that'll all buff right out :poke:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top