Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may recall, back in the Summer of 2004, a Canadian company called Brullen Exhaust Systmes, Inc. sponsored a group buy on their cat back exhaust for B5.5 Passats.

I purchased one of these systems. It is a cat back, 2.5" system which completely removes the mid-car suitcase resonator and because it is "cat back" it includes a downpipe and the flex hose at the base of the downpipe.

Not long after the group buy, Brullen went out of business!

On a recent underside inspection of my car, I have identified that the flex pipe portion of my system is heavily rusted and may be (or close to being) completely perforated. I realize the danger inhenrent in having exhaust gases leaking up into the cabin from such a condition.

My questions is, is the following part from ESC Tuning a good replacement for my flex pipe or would I be better off just letting a local exhaust shop install what it thinks is best, assuming they install something that is at least 2.5" diam?

Here's the ESC Tuning part: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...el=FWD&category=Exhaust&subcategory=Universal (scroll down to the Ansa 2.5" x 4" universal flex section)

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
that looks like you have the right idea. measure what you have, then replace with something similar.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I knew the questions was somewhat esoteric so I am not suprised at the paucity of responses. I'll check with the muffler guys that installed the Brullen system. They may already have the correct sized universal flex joint in the shop.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I have one that I bought from ECS. I'll sell it to you for $35 shipped.

I miscommunicated my order with them as I needed a 2.25". I got it and brought it to my welder who pointed out the error. He supplied one for me. I have had this sitting around for 8 months. To be clear... I have a 2.5"x4" Universal flex bellows, purchased from ECS at $45+ shipping.

Yes they can be welded in. PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I purchased the Brullen Exhaust on that group buy as well. It was a nice addition but I've been wondering how long it would last. This isn't good news. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spirare,

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

martian,

Yes, it's not good when the manufacturer shuts down right after making a large sale, like with a group buy. I figure they rushed to get all the group buy orders out and knew, or at least suspected, that they would not be in business to back up any warranty claim. I am sure corners were cut.

·
Registered
121 Posts
With all the members going to Canada for custom fitting it all seemed legit. I've been happy with the system so far but since your post I've taken a closer look at mine. Sure enough, my flex pipe on the back section is rusting like crazy. Looks like I'll be doing the same fix soon. I wonder what will go next? I guess I need to start the research process for a new system.....not cool.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I got a brullen exhaust in the group buy and my exhaust seems to be leaking from the flex pipe. But the flex pipe is from the factory, I have no flex pipes that came on my system from Brillen. Mine is a V6, so maybe the 4-cyl is different.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
If you know how to weld this is an easy fix, I did it on my passat when I put my stock exhaust back on, took about 1/2 to cut and weld the new one in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts