Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of checking/replacing a number of hoses for my 2002 VW Passat Wagon (1.8T automatic), and I came across what looks like a broken vacuum hose run from the underside of the intake manifold to a port on the far right of the intake manifold. This is my best guess as to what should be there - not sure. I'm trying to chase down diagrams but no luck so far. Any help identifying what is missing would be greatly appreciated.

Here are photos. The first one shows the hose I took off of the underside of the intake manifold. This hose connects right where the intake manifold connects to the throttle body. The other end of this hose has a broken off valve fitting - guessing a check valve of some sort goes here? The second photo shows what I'm guessing to be the attachment point at the far right of the intake manifold (on the right side). The port on the intake manifold is connected to an elbow with nothing attached to it.

Thanks in advance! In the meantime I'll keep looking for diagrams or photos that show this area of the engine.

UPDATE - one correction to the above. I pulled the hose assembly up and out and found the broken connector shown in the third photo below. Guessing it is more likely that the run goes from the underside of the intake manifold to this connection. Maybe a check valve, then a section of hose from the check value to the broken T-connector?

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bicycle handlebar

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Steering wheel Steering part

·
Registered
28,965 Posts
There's another large hose underneath the manifold that connects next to the throttle body. The L hose should connect to a similar port on the manifold. It should be similar to this writeup, which has good pics. I used a generic plastic T connector assortment from the local parts store to replace the broken T.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect - thank you! That article is the best one out there by far for dealing with the PCV/breather tube problem. Really appreciate the fast response.

Comically enough I'd already done all the "hard work" of getting the awful PCV stuff out and replacing it with the Motorsport kit. The problem started way back with a P0171 lean code, and I could not find the leak, so I pulled up the coolant reservoir and power washed everything underneath to see what was going on (the oil/dirt should have been a sign at that point). I must have blasted the tee fitting and didn't see it, and then when it was all back together the car had a really rough idle and multiple misfires. It would run at say 2,500 RPM and higher, but not at idle. I did all the checking of coils, plugs, connectors, etc. but no luck, so I'm hoping this broken tee fitting was the cause.

Also waiting on a replacement turbo diverter valve since that was bad as well. Figured that out when I was replacing the cloth-covered vacuum hose (also very shabby looking).

Thanks again for the help!

Graham

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I just happened to find this exact same broken hose today on my AWM. Saw a other part of it hanging and it looked odd but now I see how it should be connected so I'll be headed to parts store tomorrow to get the T. It's 1/4" inside diameter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure of the exact tee size but I got a variety pack and used the tee the next size down from the 1/4 one. On my engine the hose coming off the intake manifold was 1/4 ID, but the hoses from the check valves are slightly smaller.

Graham

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,583 Posts
Not sure of the exact tee size but I got a variety pack and used the tee the next size down from the 1/4 one. On my engine the hose coming off the intake manifold was 1/4 ID, but the hoses from the check valves are slightly smaller.

Graham
1/4" = 6mm, so maybe 5mm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts