Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently discovered an exhaust leak that turned out to be a broken v-band clamp on the stock turbo from my 2010 2.0T TSI engine. I've attached a picture of the broken one, and a new one that I found online (after much searching...). VW do not list this as an individual part since they source the turbos from 3rd party manufacturers, so I tracked one down from the UK, as it fits the K03 and K04 turbos.

My question is, has anyone ever had one of these break? If so, were you able to replace it on the car without having to drop the downpipe or the turbo itself? Most of the nuts holding everything on are pretty corroded and I really do not want to touch them. Looks like I might be able to disconnect the mount attached to the engine block and the turbo to get enough clearance, but hoping to find someone that has done this before! Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
guess first time for everything........you should be able to put it on ,has my interest as I have to do my 08's flex pipe so let us know how it works out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Friend with 2006 has EXACT same issue. Haven't been able to find the clamp. Can you tell me where in UK you got it from and then once I replace it, I'll describe the steps.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sorry for the slow reply. Had to wait about 10 days for delivery. Got the clamp direct from the www.turborebuild.co.uk website but I think they were also listing it on eBay.

Slaved on the car this evening as you have to remove the support bracket that braces the turbo against the engine block. Otherwise there’s not enough clearance to remove or install the v-clamp. Finally got it apart after using a MAP gas torch for the stupid Allen bolt that holds the bracket to the turbo (see pics).

Got the broken clamp out, only to find out the v-clamp I was sent is a 1/2” too small 🤬

Tomorrow’s problem......

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, thanks man. Ordered a larger v-band from the same supplier, approx. 16mm larger diameter, so I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to make that work. Just wish it wasn't coming from the UK! Ideally you would be able to measure the diameter prior to ordering (as per the disclaimer on their website for the customer to verify the size of the flange) but that wasn't an option for me with the turbo on the car, in my single garage :( I put blind faith in the product description which said for either K03 or K04 turbos.

One positive is that this is a do-able repair without the heinous job of removing the turbo and exhaust manifold, or disconnecting anything to do with the exhaust system. Only piece to remove is the upside-down "L" shaped support bracket.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, this is the one I just ordered, based on the measurements it should work for me, but I can't confirm until it arrives:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this....part arrived 2 days ago, finally got a chance to install it last night. No issues with the install with the support bracket out of the way, only thing is I had to use a slightly longer bolt on the clamp than the one it came with, but no big deal. Runs much quieter now, and no longer sounds like a ski-doo!The link I provided in my previous post was the correct size to fit the flange on my car, in case that helps anyone else in the same boat.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talon, thanks for the feedback. I def ordered wrong clamp too..which was after consulting w the seller and being assured it would fit.

I sent them a message and hopefully will be able to work something out.

Will update this once it's done. Thx again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts