Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sportshift is broken and i need help i changed the fuse but the car is telling me i have electrical problems(backlit gear letter thing) i changed the fuse but its still here please help

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
Whats a sportshift?
Sounds to me that your tiptronic is in 'gimp' mode
The usual culprit is the multi-function :) switch within the Tip housing.
Take it to the dealer and bend over....

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded 'multi-function switch'. The most common cause of linp mode. Although it may be as simple as the switch magnets in the lever.

·
Registered
432 Posts
V6er said:
Take it to the dealer and bend over....
:lol:

sorry but it's so true.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cuz the letters are backlit and the it wont switch into sport mode other than that it doesnt affect the engine or the shifting or anything else

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont get it i think it is just a wiring relay problem i dont know though until i crack it open or i get someone to fix it

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Could you please use commas or a period, also what the hell is sportshift or sport mode. I have a tiptronic and have experienced problems that have been overcome. I would like to help, but you are not making any sense to me.

I experienced a problem with the display switching from P RND21 to 54321 when moving the gear selector from Auto to Tip. The problem was the chip on the TCM. My Tip chip wasn't soldered very good and it wasn't making contact on all the pins. Resoldered the chip and all was good.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Sportshift = Tip mode. It's really not that far of a stretch, guys.

The problem is likely centered in the Multi-Function Switch (MFS). This is the switch that tells the tranny that it is in Tip mode and to look for shifts. The shifts are seen by a Hall device that reads magnets under the shroud of the Tip lever.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's one of two things: If its reading that you are in tip mode, then it is NOT the magnets (And boy does that suck for you!). That means, like me you have to buy the whole damn shift mechanism cluster from VW! It runs $340some! (but got mine fom liberty for $260 with the disount).
Let me know what it is!
-Ryan :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Read between the lines man.

Curry said,
"If its reading that you are in tip mode, then it is NOT the magnets."

Well since yours will not go into tip mode then it sounds like it could be the magnets.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If the shifter will not "litteraly move" to the right then I don't know. If the shifter will move over to the right, but not read on the dash that it is in tip mode, then it's the magnets. The magnets aren't that bad to fix (price-wise) at the dealer.
SO DOES IT LITERALLY MOVE TO THE RIGHT, OR JUST NOT REGISTER?

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
JEM said:
Could you please use commas or a period, also what the hell is sportshift or sport mode. I have a tiptronic and have experienced problems that have been overcome. I would like to help, but you are not making any sense to me.
my sportshift is broken and i need help i changed the fuse but the car is telling me i have electrical problems(backlit gear letter thing) i changed the fuse but its still here please help
Translation: My sportshift (tiptronic) is broken and I need help. I changed the fuse, but the car is telling me that I have an electrical problem (back lit gear letter thing). I changed the fuse but its still here. Please help.

cuz the letters are backlit and the it wont switch into sport mode other than that it doesnt affect the engine or the shifting or anything else
Translation: Because the letters are backlit and the it (tiptronic shifter) won't switch into sport mode. Other than that, it doesn't affect the engine, or the shifting, or anything else.

i dont get it i think it is just a wiring relay problem i dont know though until i crack it open or i get someone to fix it
Translation: I don't get it. I think it is just a wiring relay problem but I won't know until I crack it open, or I get someone to fix it.

its not stuck in tip mode its stuck in automatic mode and wont switch into tip mode
Translation: Its not stuck in tip mode. Its actually stuck in automatic mode and won't switch into the tip mode.

my bad lol so then is it alot of money to fix
Translation: My bad. I'm laughing out loud. So, then is it a lot of money to fix?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Couln't help myself. I swear sometimes I need a translator to understand internet slang too.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sounds to me like,

"OR DOES IT MOVE TO THE RIGHT AND THE DASH DOESNT "CHANGE" INTO TIP MODE"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
1BadWGN
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing